White supremacist gets 26 years for killing molester
SACRAMENTO — A Northern California white supremacist convicted of killing a child molester was sentenced to 26 years to life in prison, while his wife — convicted of being an accessory — will be released from jail in about two months, The Sacramento Bee reported on Saturday.
Charles Francis Gaskins, 48, was sentenced on Friday after pleading no contest in March for the killing of Neil Hayes in 2009. A probation report said Gaskins was a member of a supremacist group that required its members to attack anyone with a history of child molestation.
Gaskins and his wife — Sandra Sheaves — were living in a home she owned in Carmichael, a Sacramento suburb, when they allowed the 66-year-old Hayes to move in. Gaskins had met Hayes while they were both serving time in prison, The Bee reported.
When Sheaves discovered on the Megan's Law website that Hayes was a registered sex offender, she told Gaskins.
Gaskins and Sheaves confronted Hayes in the garage of the home, with Gaskins killing him by repeatedly hitting him in the head with a large rock, prosecutors said.
As part of his no-contest plea, Gaskins insisted authorities go easy on Sheaves, who also was charged with Hayes' murder.
Prosecutors agreed, allowing her to plead no contest to accessory to murder. Sheaves, 43, was sentenced to eight years in prison.
With time served and other factors, Sheaves is expected to be released in 66 days, according to her attorney, James Warden.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Report: Major changes needed for nation’s power infrastructure
- Residents near N.C. ash dumps told not to drink well water
- Pope accepts resignation of bishop in Kansas City, Mo. who failed to report suspected child abuser
- Pope accepts resignation of U.S. bishop who failed to report abuse
- Reagan shooter Hinckley closer to permanent freedom
- Federal appeals court appears divided on Obama’s immigrant deportation shield
- Missouri town, new mayor grapple with mass resignations
- Baltimore on edge over man’s fatal spine injury while in custody
- Minnesota Somali men foiled in plot to join terrorists in Syria
- Wis. resident dies in crash on way to birth of 8th child
- Sunken carrier used in atomic bomb tests found off Calif.