No free admission for 9/11 museum visitors
NEW YORK — Faced with hefty operating costs, the foundation building the 9/11 museum at the World Trade Center has decided to charge an admission fee of $20 to $25 when the site opens next year.
The exact cost of the mandatory fee has not yet been decided.
Entry to the memorial plaza with its twin reflecting pools will still be free.
The decision to charge for the underground museum housing relics of the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks has been greeted with dismay by some relatives of 9/11 victims.
“People are coming to pay their respects and for different reasons,” said Janice Testa of Valley Stream, whose firefighter brother, Henry Miller Jr., died at the twin towers. “It shouldn't be a place where you go and see works of art. It should more be like a memorial place like a church that there's no entry fee.”
Testa was visiting the memorial on Saturday with relatives from Florida.
The memorial plaza opened in 2011 on the 10th anniversary of the terror attacks, but disputes over funding have pushed the museum's opening back to spring of 2014.
With the cost of operating the memorial and museum projected to be $60 million a year, the memorial foundation voted at its board meeting last week to charge a mandatory admission fee for the museum.
“This is something that is going to be important and is going to be worth the expenditure,” Joseph Daniels, president of the National September 11 Memorial and Museum, said Saturday.
Daniels said the museum will be free during certain hours every week and will offer student and senior discounts.
Foundation officials had considered an optional donation but rejected the idea.
“We decided that it's more fiscally prudent to have a straight ticket charge,” Daniels said.
Debra Burlingame, a foundation board member whose brother was the pilot of one of the hijacked planes, said the trade center site is expensive to build on and to protect.
“The World Trade Center site remains a target of interest among terrorists, so the security has to be robust and relentless,” Burlingame said in a phone interview. “There's a big price tag on that.
“Would we like to be able to say this is free? Absolutely,” Burlingame added. But she called it “irresponsible to hope that year after year we have donations that will cover an expense like security.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- White woman sues sperm bank for giving her donation from black man
- MIT: Global Energy Use, CO2 May Double By 2100
- West Virginia has tallied 45,500 storage tanks so far
- South Carolina police shooting caught on ‘disturbing’ video
- Dallas tour bus drives into controversy over JFK picture
- Threat leads to evacuation of Sandy Hook school
- Secret Service chief resigns after security lapses
- Records show Kissinger pursued strategy to attack Cuba
- Head of Secret Service resigns
- Hagel orders steps to fix military health care
- DeLay conviction killed by top court