TribLIVE

| USWorld


 
Larger text Larger text Smaller text Smaller text | Order Photo Reprints

Cybergang swipes $45M across globe

About The Tribune-Review
The Tribune-Review can be reached via e-mail or at 412-321-6460.
Contact Us | Video | Photo Reprints

Daily Photo Galleries


By The Associated Press

Published: Thursday, May 9, 2013, 9:39 p.m.

NEW YORK — A worldwide gang of criminals stole $45 million in a matter of hours by hacking their way into a database of prepaid debit cards and draining cash machines around the globe, federal prosecutors said on Thursday — and outmoded card technology may be partly to blame.

Seven people are under arrest in the United States in the case, which prosecutors said involved thousands of thefts from ATMs using bogus magnetic swipe cards carrying information from Middle Eastern banks. The fraudsters moved with astounding speed to loot financial institutions around the world, working in cells, including one in New York, Brooklyn U.S. Attorney Loretta Lynch said.

She called it “a massive 21st-century bank heist” carried out by brazen thieves.

One of the suspects was caught on surveillance cameras, his backpack increasingly loaded down with cash, authorities said. Others took photos of themselves with giant wads of bills as they made their way up and down Manhattan.

Here's how it worked:

Hackers got into bank databases, eliminated withdrawal limits on pre-paid debit cards and created access codes.

Others loaded that data onto any plastic card with a magnetic stripe — an old hotel key card or an expired credit card worked fine as long as they carried the account data and correct access codes.

A network of operatives fanned out to withdraw money rapidly in multiple cities, authorities said. The cells would take a cut of the money, then launder it through expensive purchases or ship it wholesale to the global ringleaders. Lynch didn't say where they were located.

The targets were reserves held by banks to fund prepaid credit cards, not individual account holders, Lynch said.

She called it a “virtual criminal flash mob,” and a security analyst said it was the biggest ATM fraud case she had heard of.

There were two attacks, one in December that reaped $5 million worldwide and one in February that snared about $40 million in 10 hours with about 36,000 transactions. The scheme involved attacks on two banks, Rakbank in the United Arab Emirates and the Bank of Muscat in Oman, prosecutors said.

Aside from New York, ATMs were plundered in Japan, Russia, Romania, Egypt, Colombia, Britain, Sri Lanka, Canada and several other countries, and law enforcement agencies from more than a dozen nations were involved in the investigation, U.S. prosecutors said.

The accused ringleader in the U.S. cell, Alberto Yusi Lajud-Pena, was reportedly killed in the Dominican Republic late last month, prosecutors said. More investigations continue and arrests have been made in other countries, but prosecutors did not have details.

An indictment unsealed Thursday accused Lajud-Pena and the other seven New York suspects of withdrawing $2.8 million from hacked accounts in less than a day.

Such ATM fraud schemes are not uncommon, but the $45 million stolen was at least double the amount involved in previously known cases, said Avivah Litan, an analyst who covers security issues for Gartner Inc.

“It's a really easy way to turn digits into cash,” Litan said.

Some of the fault lies with the ubiquitous magnetic strips on the back of cards. The rest of the world has largely abandoned cards with magnetic strips in favor of ones with built-in chips that are nearly impossible to copy. But because U.S. banks and merchants have stuck to cards with magnetic strips, they are accepted around the world.

Lynch would not say who masterminded the attacks globally, who the hackers are or where they were located, citing the investigation.

The New York suspects were U.S. citizens originally from the Dominican Republic who lived in the New York City suburb of Yonkers and were mostly in their 20s. Lynch said they all knew one another and were recruited together, as were cells in other countries. Each is charged with conspiracy and money laundering. A conviction carries as much as 10 years in prison.

Arrests began in March. Lajud-Pena was found dead with a suitcase full of $100,000 in cash. Dominican officials said they arrested a man in the killing who said it was a botched robbery, and two other suspects were on the lam.

 

 
 


Show commenting policy

Most-Read Nation

  1. ‘Patriots’ back Nevada rancher; Reid labels them ‘domestic terrorists’
  2. IRS, other agencies award contracts to license plate tracking company
  3. Health care law enrollee passwords at risk for Heartbleed Internet security flaw, feds warn
  4. Ohio couple married for 70 years dies just 15 hours apart
  5. Washington’s snowy owl recovers from apparent bus crash, returns to wild
  6. Del Taco customers mistakenly charged thousands for fast-food meals
  7. Drug crime reclassification to help ex-cons get vote rights
  8. Fox fires exec who used email to plan aid
  9. Automaker GM’s wait on Saturn Ion safety recall took years
  10. First date in New Jersey ends with him pilfering her TV and Yorkshire terrier
  11. Mauling puts bears back on firing line in Central Florida
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.