Nicotine logic? California woman hit cop to quit smoking
SACRAMENTO — Think you've heard of every way possible to quit smoking? Etta Mae Lopez came up with a new one: Slap a cop so you'll go to jail, where smoking is not allowed.
Lopez smacked Sacramento County sheriff's Deputy Matt Campoy in the face on Tuesday as he left the main jail at the end of his shift. He grabbed her and took her inside the jail, where she slapped his arm as soon as he turned her loose.
Once she was handcuffed, the 5-foot 1-inch Lopez told Campoy that she picked him because he was in uniform and she wanted to make sure she struck a law enforcement officer.
“She waited all day for a deputy to come out because she knew if she assaulted a deputy, she would go to jail and be inside long enough to quit her smoking habit,” Campoy told The Sacramento Bee.
The deputy said he tried to sidestep Lopez as he left the jail through the usual gathering of family members who linger outside the facility a few blocks from the state Capitol.
Lopez, 31, pleaded no contest to misdemeanor battery on a peace officer and was sentenced on Thursday to 63 days.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Nor’easter threatens Northeast with up to 2 feet of snow
- Device, possibly aerial drone, found on White House grounds
- Suspect identified in missing Georgia couple case
- Blockbuster snowstorm aims northeast
- Obama to seek protection of wilderness designation for Alaska refuge
- Ramping up e-cigarette voltage may be more hazardous to health
- Some Catholics ruled out as jurors in Boston Marathon bombing case
- Orcas could land on endangered list
- Massive asteroid will fly by Earth late Monday
- Santa Ana winds cut power to thousands in Southern California
- Navy wants to increase use of sonar-emitting buoys