TribLIVE

| USWorld


 
Larger text Larger text Smaller text Smaller text | Order Photo Reprints

Cleveland kidnapping suspect's DNA confirms he's father of captive's daughter

About The Tribune-Review
The Tribune-Review can be reached via e-mail or at 412-321-6460.
Contact Us | Video | Photo Reprints
Getty Images
CLEVELAND, OH - MAY 09: Ariel Castro (R) stands with his head down while his public defender, Kathleen DeMetz (L), talks to his brother Pedro Castro (C) during his arraignment on kidnapping and rape charges on May 9, 2013 in Cleveland, Ohio. Castro is accused of abducting three girls, Michelle Knight, 32, Amanda Berry, 27 and Gina DeJesus, believed to be about 23 and holding them for about 10-years. (Photo by Matt Sullivan/Getty Images)

Daily Photo Galleries


By The Washington Post

Published: Friday, May 10, 2013, 7:18 p.m.

CLEVELAND — DNA test results released on Friday confirm that Ariel Castro, the Cleveland man accused of kidnapping and raping three women held for years in his rundown home, is the father of a 6-year-old girl born in captivity to one of his alleged victims, said Ohio's attorney general.

After the state's Bureau of Criminal Investigation received a sample of Castro's DNA late Thursday afternoon, Attorney General Mike DeWine said in a statement that “forensic scientists worked throughout the night to confirm that Castro is the father” of the child.

The mother, Amanda Berry, was abducted as a teenager in 2003.

DeWine said “Castro's DNA did not match any other Ohio cases,” though he said the FBI is checking the sample to determine whether Castro is connected to any cases in other states.

Separately, the FBI said Friday that an extensive search of the property where the three women and the child were held — dubbed Cleveland's “house of horrors” — has not turned up any human remains. The bureau has concluded its search.

FBI spokeswoman Vicki Anderson said investigators took more than 200 items from Castro's house.

The longest-held captive, Michelle Knight, was released from a Cleveland hospital on Friday. MetroHealth Medical Center declined to comment on her condition or say where she was going. But in a statement released earlier, the hospital said she is “in good spirits” and that she “asks that everyone please continue to respect her privacy at this time.”

Knight told police that Castro repeatedly raped her and that she suffered at least five miscarriages when he beat and starved her to terminate the pregnancies.

Castro is charged with kidnapping Gina DeJesus, as well as Berry, Knight and Berry's daughter. Law enforcement authorities say he lured each woman into his car on a main thoroughfare.

Castro's adult daughter, Angie Gregg, said on CNN that the accounts of the captivity are “like a horror movie.”

She said she had not noticed anything suspicious in her visits to his house, though he always played loud music, kept the basement locked and would not allow her upstairs to see her old bedroom.

Gregg said her father is “dead to me” now.

 

 
 


Show commenting policy

Most-Read Nation

  1. Shale oil, gas drilling boom wins favor with labor unions, thwarting environmentalists
  2. Teen OK after riding in wheel well of Hawaii jet
  3. After bombs, Boston Marathon under tight security
  4. Postal Service overhaul expected to appeal to Dems
  5. Art from ‘Dick and Jane’ series set for auction
  6. Subsitute for Pap smear scorned; overtreatment cited
  7. Ruling on Cleveland police chase questioned
  8. Study of corn waste as fuel source finds gasoline less damaging to atmosphere
  9. Wyoming officials to drill at landslide’s crest
  10. Navy endorses 24-hour sleep cycle for sailors
  11. Warnings on youths, codeine unheeded; lack of effectiveness, dangers had been raised
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.