U.S. forces put on alert over Libya
By The Associated Press
Published: Friday, May 10, 2013, 9:39 p.m.
WASHINGTON — Marines and other U.S. forces in Europe are on a heightened state of alert in response to a deteriorating security situation in the Libyan capital of Tripoli, two American officials said on Friday.
The alert order applies to a U.S. special operations team based in Stuttgart, Germany, as well as a Marine Corps group of air and ground forces based in Moron, Spain, according to the officials.
The United States has a contingent of dozens of Marines at the U.S. Embassy in Tripoli.
The officials said there is no plan to use any of the forces under current circumstances, but a portion of the approximately 500 Marines in Spain have been notified that they might be repositioned for a quicker potential response to trouble in Tripoli.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- IRS, other agencies award contracts to license plate tracking company
- ‘Patriots’ back Nevada rancher; Reid labels them ‘domestic terrorists’
- Washington’s snowy owl recovers from apparent bus crash, returns to wild
- Health care law enrollee passwords at risk for Heartbleed Internet security flaw, feds warn
- Del Taco customers mistakenly charged thousands for fast-food meals
- Ohio couple married for 70 years dies just 15 hours apart
- Mauling puts bears back on firing line in Central Florida
- SpaceX supply ship makes Easter cargo delivery to space station
- Rocket leak delays space station delivery launch
- Russian fighter jet hounds Navy warship in Black Sea for 90 minutes
- T. rex gets the red-carpet treatment at Smithsonian