TribLIVE

| USWorld

 
Larger text Larger text Smaller text Smaller text | Order Photo Reprints

$10K reward offered in New Orleans shooting

Email Newsletters

Click here to sign up for one of our email newsletters.

Daily Photo Galleries

'American Coyotes' Series

Traveling by Jeep, boat and foot, Tribune-Review investigative reporter Carl Prine and photojournalist Justin Merriman covered nearly 2,000 miles over two months along the border with Mexico to report on coyotes — the human traffickers who bring illegal immigrants into the United States. Most are Americans working for money and/or drugs. This series reports how their operations have a major impact on life for residents and the environment along the border — and beyond.

By The Associated Press
Monday, May 13, 2013, 9:30 p.m.
 

NEW ORLEANS — Police late Monday named a 19-year-old man as a suspect in the shooting of 19 during a Mother's Day parade in New Orleans, saying several people had identified him as the gunman.

Police Superintendent Ronal Serpas said they were looking for Akein Scott of New Orleans. He said it was too early to say whether he was the only shooter.

“We would like to remind the community and Akein Scott that the time has come for him to turn himself in,” Serpas said at a news conference outside of police headquarters.

“We know more about you than you think we know,” he said.

Police had announced a $10,000 reward and released blurry surveillance camera images, which led to the tips.

“The people chose to be on the side of the young innocent children shot instead of on the side of a coward who shot into the crowd,” Serpas said.

Angry residents said gun violence — which has flared at two other city celebrations this year — goes hand-in-hand with the city's other deeply rooted problems such as poverty and urban blight. “The old people are scared to walk the streets. The children can't even play outside,” Ronald Lewis, 61, said as he sat on the front stoop of his house, about a half a block from the shooting site.

Witness Jarrat Pytell said he was walking with friends near the parade route when the crowd suddenly began to break up.

“I saw the guy on the corner, his arm extended, firing into the crowd,” said Pytell, a medical student. “He was obviously pointing in a specific direction; he wasn't swinging the gun wildly,” Pytell said.

Pytell tended to a woman with a broken arm and a victim who was bleeding badly.

Three victims remained in critical condition, though their wounds didn't appear to be life-threatening. Most of the wounded had been discharged.

It's not the first time gunfire has shattered a festive mood in the city this year. Five people were wounded in a drive-by shooting in January after a Martin Luther King Jr. Day parade, and four were wounded in a shooting after an argument in the French Quarter in the days leading up to Mardi Gras. Two teens were arrested in connection with the MLK shootings; three men were arrested and charged in the Mardi Gras shootings.

But the city's 193 homicides in 2012 were seven fewer than the previous year, while the first three months of 2013 represented an even slower pace. of killing.

Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.

 

 


Show commenting policy

Most-Read Nation

  1. Pollard, spy for Israel, to be set free
  2. GOP says there’s no deal with Clinton on Benghazi testimony
  3. Republicans seek firing of IRS chief in feud over missing emails
  4. Cruz chided over remarks in prelude to Ex-Im Bank vote
  5. Boy Scouts of America votes to end controversial ban on openly gay leaders
  6. Nuke arms program gets 4-star leadership
  7. Feds probe timing of ticket cost at airlines days after Amtrak crash in Philadelphia
  8. Police try to see if man killed by escort was linked to crimes against women
  9. House, Senate clash over highway funds before Friday deadline
  10. Outside attorneys to help investigate Bland death in Texas jail
  11. Theater shooter known as angry man with violent ideas