Mom in enduring image: 'God's arms around' 8-year-old daughter
MOORE, Okla. — The picture was published on hundreds of front pages around the world, becoming one of the lasting pictures from the tornado.
On Monday, as the vast storm was carving its way through town, there was no time to hesitate. LaTisha Garcia had to get to her children.
And so she raced against the storm. She had 30 miles to cover from her job in Edmond to Plaza Towers Elementary School, where her 8-year-old daughter Jazmin Rodriguez is a third grader.
She lost. The tornado got there first. She knew her three youngest children were safe at their daycare, but Jazmin was somewhere inside the rubble.
“Right when I ran up to ask if I could start pulling people out or try to help, some guy just handed her to me,” Garcia said. “I only recognized her from her clothes. My mind was in so many different places, I couldn't even remember what she wore that day.”
The emotion seared on her face, she scooped her daughter into her arms and set off across the now-barren landscape away from the place where seven of Jazmin's schoolmates had died.
“It was a long way toward the end of the parking lot,” Garcia recalled. “And she's a heavy girl. There were times I didn't think I was going to make it. But I did.”
Jazmin ended up with bumps and bruises, but no long-lasting injuries from the ordeal.
“I know she definitely had God's arms around her to walk out of there,” Garcia said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- White woman sues sperm bank for giving her donation from black man
- Head of Secret Service resigns
- ER knew ill man visiting from Africa, sent him home
- Hagel orders steps to fix military health care
- Girl missing for 12 years rescued in Mexico; mother arrested
- Records show Kissinger pursued strategy to attack Cuba
- White man convicted of murder of black teenager in Jacksonville
- Detroit’s emergency manager questioned about bankruptcy plan
- DeLay conviction killed by top court
- Mexico expected to free former Marine soon
- Obama administration blasts Israeli housing project