Utah teen held in deaths of brothers
WEST POINT, Utah — A teenager was arrested on Thursday in the deaths of his two younger brothers, ages 4 and 10, at the family home in a Utah subdivision of new houses and tidy lawns, police said.
Authorities believe the boys died from knife wounds and that the 15-year-old boy acted alone in what appeared to be an unplanned attack, Davis County Sheriff Todd Richardson said.
“As result of the emerging details, the 15-year-old juvenile has officially been taken into custody,” Richardson said.
The Associated Press withheld the name of the boy because of his age. He was being held at a juvenile detention center on suspicion of homicide. Formal charges have not been filed.
It was the second time in a month that an older brother has been arrested in the death of a sibling. Prosecutors have filed murder charges against a 12-year-old boy accused in the stabbing death of his 8-year-old sister on April 27 at their home in Central California.
In Utah, Richardson said blood but no weapon was found on the 15-year-old suspect when he was arrested about five miles from the family home.
The suspect spoke bluntly with investigators, and authorities were not aware that he has any kind of medical disabilities. Few other details were released.
The sheriff said the 15-year-old boy had run away about a year ago before police found him. Neighbors said he was only gone a few hours.
His parents had six children, four of whom were adopted, said family friend and neighbor Lindsey Caballero, adding the parents were sweet, kind and loving.
The 15-year-old was the oldest and a biological son of the couple. The victims were both adopted, Caballero said.
Their bodies were found Wednesday night at the home in West Point, about 30 miles north of Salt Lake City. Police said the boys had been left with their older brother while their mother took her other children to a dance recital.
Richardson said the mother found her 4-year-old dead on the floor and called 911.
She thought both her 10-year-old and 15-year-old were missing, but police discovered the body of the 10-year-old while searching the house.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Feds could be softening in Snowden case
- Cosby accusers feel vindicated by drugging admission; some Hollywood friends reserve judgment
- Subway suspends ties with spokesman Fogle after raid at home
- California right-to-die measure fizzles in committee
- Mexican illegal held on $5M bail in killing
- Painkillers tied to increased heroin use, addiction
- Senators quiz military chiefs, criticize U.S. fight against Islamic State
- Appeals court upholds ban on federal contractors’ donations
- 2 killed in midair collision over South Carolina when fighter jet slams into Cessna
- Two killed when F-16, small plane crash; jet pilot safe
- ‘Billionaires’ Beach’ in Calif. opens to the public