'Plan B' on the way to shelves sans limits
WASHINGTON — The morning-after pill is going over-the-counter.
The Food and Drug Administration on Thursday approved unrestricted sales of Plan B One-Step, lifting all age limits on the emergency contraceptive.
The move occurred a week after the Obama administration ended months of back-and-forth legal battles by promising a federal judge that it would take that step. Women's health advocates had pushed for easier access to next-day birth control for more than a decade.
“Over-the-counter access to emergency contraceptive products has the potential to further decrease the rate of unintended pregnancies in the United States,” FDA drug chief Dr. Janet Woodcock said in a statement announcing the approval.
It wasn't clear how quickly Plan B One-Step would move from behind pharmacy counters to sit on pharmacy shelves. Until now, customers could buy that morning-after pill and competing generic versions without a prescription only if they proved to a pharmacist that they were 17 or older.
The FDA said the product must be repackaged to reflect the change;. Maker Teva Women's Health didn't immediately respond.
The agency, though, has not lifted age limits on competing generics.
The morning-after pill contains a higher dose of the hormone in regular birth-control pills. Taking it within 72 hours of rape, condom failure or just forgetting traditional contraception can cut the chances of pregnancy by up to 89 percent.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Man caught jumping White House fence
- Coburn’s final ‘Wastebook’ tallies $25B in what he considers ‘pork’
- Coast Guard to seek billions to protect Arctic interests
- Ferguson slaying of Brown reconstructed in county autopsy
- Personal use of Secret Service agents on staffer’s behalf draws investigaton
- 4 private security guards convicted
- Academic scandal at University of North Carolina bigger than previously reported
- Security at Capitol questioned
- Social Security recipients to get increase in benefits
- 8 arrested in post-game riots in Morgantown
- Navy civilian goes on trial for diverting $2M to brother of his boss