Letters keep pot grower out of prison
DETROIT — A southeastern Michigan farmer recovering from throat cancer was sentenced to probation instead of prison on Tuesday for growing thousands of marijuana plants, partly because of many handwritten letters from supporters who described him as a modest, selfless man who helps others at every turn.
“This is one that most screams out: This man deserves a break,” U.S. District Judge Bernard Friedman said.
Edwin Schmieding, 61, was caught growing 8,000 marijuana plants at his Lenawee County farm and greenhouse in 2011. His wife told police that they were trying to tap the state's medical marijuana market, although production that large is illegal.
Schmieding's attorney, Sanford Schulman, noted that most plants were small and of low quality.
“I take full responsibility for my actions,” Schmieding told the judge as relatives wept in the courtroom gallery. “I've lived a hard-working life. I give you my word: I'll be a responsible citizen.”
Schmieding began growing marijuana in 2010 after years of growing cut flowers and other plants. He and wife Linda lived in a home built with their own hands and warmed by firewood during winter.
Friedman was influenced by letters from relatives and friends, even Schmieding's former wife, in the rural area. A neighbor said Schmieding regularly lent tools and helped him pour concrete. Family members said they were inspired by his modesty and independence as well as his courage during cancer treatments.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- 2 women advance to final phase of Army Ranger training
- Obama to mandate steeper emissions cuts from power plants
- State Department accuses top Clinton aide of violations
- Marines finally ready to roll out controversial fighter jet
- Obama’s nuclear deal lobbying sways Democrats
- U.S., Hong Kong researchers develop computer model to examine spread of influenza
- Pressure mounts for Biden to join 2016 White House race
- Midwest farmers pessimistic of fall harvest amid damaging, long-term rain
- 4 dead, 65 sickened in Bronx by Legionella
- Name of cop withheld in shooting of motorist in South Carolina
- Food industry players fighting proposed dietary guidelines drop millions on lobbyists