Perry set to reveal 'exciting future' to Texans
AUSTIN — Texas Gov. Rick Perry sent an email to close friends and top fundraisers Tuesday promising to reveal “exciting future plans” during an event next week in San Antonio, where he may formally announce if he'll run again for governor.
The message doesn't provide further details or even a location for the midday gathering, saying simply that more details will be forthcoming. But Perry has said he will soon announce if he plans to seek a fourth full term as governor next year.
The Republican is already the longest-serving governor in Texas history and America's longest-sitting governor. He also hasn't ruled out a second run for president in 2016, after his previous bid for the GOP White House nomination fizzled in 2011. But Perry has also said he won't decide on that matter until later this year.
“Howdy Friends,” the email begins. “Please save the date.”
It continues: “Governor Rick Perry, Aggie, the longest serving Governor of the great state of Texas and friend, will be making an announcement around midday in San Antonio concerning his exciting future plans! Please join his family and closest friends on July 8th.”
The message concludes by simply saying “details to follow.”
Ray Sullivan, communications director for Perry's failed presidential campaign, said Perry will likely announce whether he will run for re-election.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Washington city takes stock of damage from rare tornado
- 2 California deputies slain, suspect captured
- New York, New Jersey order 21-day quarantine of all in contact with Ebola virus
- U.S. rules out apology to Pyongyang in exchange for 2 imprisoned Americans
- Hatchet attack was terror, NYPD says
- Test confirms remains are missing Virginia student’s
- Warhol bodyguard sued over hidden artwork
- Seattle area school homecoming ‘prince’ guns down classmates
- North Korea may have key to nuclear missile, general says
- Lawyer turns down AG post
- Philadelphia Mafia figure returned to prison for meeting friend