Perry set to reveal 'exciting future' to Texans
AUSTIN — Texas Gov. Rick Perry sent an email to close friends and top fundraisers Tuesday promising to reveal “exciting future plans” during an event next week in San Antonio, where he may formally announce if he'll run again for governor.
The message doesn't provide further details or even a location for the midday gathering, saying simply that more details will be forthcoming. But Perry has said he will soon announce if he plans to seek a fourth full term as governor next year.
The Republican is already the longest-serving governor in Texas history and America's longest-sitting governor. He also hasn't ruled out a second run for president in 2016, after his previous bid for the GOP White House nomination fizzled in 2011. But Perry has also said he won't decide on that matter until later this year.
“Howdy Friends,” the email begins. “Please save the date.”
It continues: “Governor Rick Perry, Aggie, the longest serving Governor of the great state of Texas and friend, will be making an announcement around midday in San Antonio concerning his exciting future plans! Please join his family and closest friends on July 8th.”
The message concludes by simply saying “details to follow.”
Ray Sullivan, communications director for Perry's failed presidential campaign, said Perry will likely announce whether he will run for re-election.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Clinton: Women ‘expect’ extremism from terrorists, not GOP candidates
- Virginia reporter, cameraman killed on air; gunman also dies
- US economy surged at 3.7 percent rate in April-June quarter
- Dow, S&P, Nasdaq soar 4% despite China worries, but volatility expected to endure
- Kraft Heinz recalls more than 2M pounds of turkey bacon
- Affordable Care Act ‘Cadillace tax’ may prompt employers to trim health benefits
- Pentagon probes ISIS assessment
- Ky. clerk loses appeal in gay marriage case
- Female sailors begin training for Navy submarine duty
- Staff in State Department found to send unsecured email, just like Clinton
- Smithsonian panda twin dies