Perry set to reveal 'exciting future' to Texans
By The Associated Press
Published: Tuesday, July 2, 2013, 7:27 p.m.
AUSTIN — Texas Gov. Rick Perry sent an email to close friends and top fundraisers Tuesday promising to reveal “exciting future plans” during an event next week in San Antonio, where he may formally announce if he'll run again for governor.
The message doesn't provide further details or even a location for the midday gathering, saying simply that more details will be forthcoming. But Perry has said he will soon announce if he plans to seek a fourth full term as governor next year.
The Republican is already the longest-serving governor in Texas history and America's longest-sitting governor. He also hasn't ruled out a second run for president in 2016, after his previous bid for the GOP White House nomination fizzled in 2011. But Perry has also said he won't decide on that matter until later this year.
“Howdy Friends,” the email begins. “Please save the date.”
It continues: “Governor Rick Perry, Aggie, the longest serving Governor of the great state of Texas and friend, will be making an announcement around midday in San Antonio concerning his exciting future plans! Please join his family and closest friends on July 8th.”
The message concludes by simply saying “details to follow.”
Ray Sullivan, communications director for Perry's failed presidential campaign, said Perry will likely announce whether he will run for re-election.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Obama administration delays decision on Keystone XL pipeline
- Wyatt Earp gun sells for $225K at auction
- Records exonerate ‘X-Men’ director, attorney says
- SpaceX supply ship makes Easter cargo delivery to space station
- Grandmother left vengeful note in boys’ slayings, then committed suicide, police say
- Colorado deaths stoke marijuana worries
- Medicaid paid $12M for Illinois dead, audit finds
- Iranian envoy officially blocked by law
- Judge strikes down Minnesota’s anti-coal law as unconstitutional
- Recovery expert believes wreckage of missing plane located
- Hobby Lobby hypocrisy: Fighting birth control coverage, it invests in abortion drug maker