Ex-FBI head to lead BP investigation
By The Associated Press
Published: Tuesday, July 2, 2013, 9:27 p.m.
NEW ORLEANS — Former FBI Director Louis Freeh was appointed on Tuesday to investigate alleged misconduct by a lawyer who helped run BP's multibillion-dollar settlement fund.
U.S. District Judge Carl Barbier issued an order naming Freeh, who now runs a consulting firm, a “special master” for the investigation. In another high-profile case, Freeh recently led a university-sanctioned probe of the Pennsylvania State University sex-abuse scandal.
Oil spill claims administrator Patrick Juneau announced last month that his office is investigating allegations that an attorney on his staff received a portion of settlement proceeds for claims he had referred to a law firm before he started working on the settlement program.
Freeh was a federal judge in New York before serving as FBI director from 1993 to 2001. He founded his consulting firm, Freeh Group International Solutions LLC, in 2007.
After being appointed, Freeh met in the judge's chambers with Barbier, BP representatives and top plaintiff attorneys. He had no comment afterward.
BP had called for an independent review of the allegations. A company spokesman said in a statement that it was pleased with the appointment to try to ensure the integrity of the claims process.
“We believe that Judge Freeh's experience on the federal bench and as director of the FBI make him ideally suited to conduct a thorough investigation into the recent allegations of unethical and potentially criminal behavior within the program,” BP spokesman Geoff Morrell said in the statement.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- ‘Patriots’ back Nevada rancher; Reid labels them ‘domestic terrorists’
- IRS, other agencies award contracts to license plate tracking company
- Washington’s snowy owl recovers from apparent bus crash, returns to wild
- Health care law enrollee passwords at risk for Heartbleed Internet security flaw, feds warn
- Del Taco customers mistakenly charged thousands for fast-food meals
- SpaceX supply ship makes Easter cargo delivery to space station
- Mauling puts bears back on firing line in Central Florida
- 50 years later, ‘flying housewife’ Mock recalls fun of becoming first woman pilot to fly around the world
- Authorities say they have trove of evidence against Dzhokhar Tsarnaev in Boston Marathon bombing
- Denver wife killed 12 minutes into 911 call, sparking inquiry
- U.S. devised ‘Cuban Twitter’ for political dissent