Lung transplant patient, 10, has more surgery
PHILADELPHIA — A 10-year-old girl who had two adult-lung transplants because her parents sued to change national rules regarding organ donations underwent surgery on Tuesday to repair her diaphragm.
The operation performed at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia is expected to allow Sarah Murnaghan to breathe on her own. Sarah has needed a breathing tube since the successful June 15 transplant because she suffered a partial paralysis of her diaphragm during that procedure.
Her mother, Janet Murnaghan, wrote on her Facebook page that doctors said the operation went well.
“Sarah is still mostly sedated, waking periodically in pain, so aggressive pain management is under way,” she said.
Janet Murnaghan said her daughter has one chest tube back in place, and doctors expect to know by next week “whether her other muscles are strong enough to do the job of breathing after extubation or if she needs a temporary tracheostomy while we recondition her muscles.”
Sarah has been hospitalized for months with end-stage cystic fibrosis while awaiting two lungs.
The girl from Newtown Square, a Philadelphia suburb, was a top candidate for organs from a child donor, but none was available, and a national transplant policy put her at the bottom of the adult list — behind patients who were less critically ill.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Boys in New York buried for hours in snow pile
- Ferguson-related unrest disrupts Black Friday shopping in several cities
- Bombers to train over Plains
- Sunlight reduces risk of nearsightedness in children, study suggests
- Homeless woman’s stun gun spurs 2nd Amendment case
- Texan who targeted Mexican consulate in Austin killed in shootout with police
- Maine State Prison draws Black Friday shoppers
- FBI uses journalists as bait for terrorists, escapee from Syrian group says
- Florida man who ambushed police held anti-government beliefs
- With no indictment, chaos fills Ferguson streets
- Cleveland officers say video of fatal shooting of boy clear about what happened