Chicago violence kills 9 during holiday weekend
CHICAGO — Shootings in Chicago during the Fourth of July holiday weekend left at least nine people dead and several dozen wounded, including two young boys shot in parks.
Gov. Pat Quinn said on Sunday that such continued violence underscores why he dramatically altered a gun bill that will end Illinois' last-in-the nation ban on carrying concealed firearms — a prohibition that has been declared unconstitutional by a federal appeals court.
“That ought to be an alarm bell to all of us that we need strong laws that protect the public safety,” the Democrat said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- More Indian tribes rethink idea of legalized marijuana on reservations
- Supreme Court’s health care law ruling worries 34 states
- Homeland Security panned for passing on bio-threat technology
- Perceived slights have some New Yorkers longing for Pennsylvania
- Florida fisherman’s high court win spurs call for legal reform
- Paul edges Walker in CPAC straw poll
- Gene making human brains bigger found
- Foreign government gifts to family charity present candidacy hurdle for Hillary Clinton
- Monarch butterflies find milkweed supply dwindles
- Most young Republicans back legal marijuana
- In a twist, fight for medical marijuana goes to Florida Statehouse