Chicago violence kills 9 during holiday weekend
CHICAGO — Shootings in Chicago during the Fourth of July holiday weekend left at least nine people dead and several dozen wounded, including two young boys shot in parks.
Gov. Pat Quinn said on Sunday that such continued violence underscores why he dramatically altered a gun bill that will end Illinois' last-in-the nation ban on carrying concealed firearms — a prohibition that has been declared unconstitutional by a federal appeals court.
“That ought to be an alarm bell to all of us that we need strong laws that protect the public safety,” the Democrat said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Mo. governor adds guardsmen as protests continue
- United Mine Workers responds to strike complaint
- Brown family blasts prosecutor; Wilson speaks
- Protest in Cleveland over 12-year-old’s shooting death chokes off traffic
- Ferguson grand jury focused on fatal ‘tussle’
- Premiums to rise for Obamacare’s most popular plans
- Illegals protected by Obama in line for Social Security, Medicare, other benefits
- In IRS ‘rife with scandal,’ staff to receive bonuses
- Florida high school prostitution ring busted
- Oregon recounts votes on measure to label GMO foods
- EPA eyes stringent air quality standards