Tugboat search halts river traffic
By The Associated Press
Published: Sunday, July 7, 2013, 9:33 p.m.
NEW ORLEANS — Mississippi River traffic in southeastern Louisiana was shut down on Sunday while the Coast Guard led a search for a sunken tugboat believed to have gone down in the middle of the river.
Coast Guard Petty Officer Carlos Vega said 28 southbound and 22 northbound vessels were anchored and waiting for the reopening of the river, and numerous others not yet in the area would likely be affected. One cruise ship bound for New Orleans was diverted to Mobile, Ala., and contingency plans were being made to do the same for another cruise liner that had been set to reach the city Sunday night.
The Coast Guard closed the river Saturday at 1 p.m. after the sinking of the 48-foot tug C-Pec was reported near the town of Venice. Officials don't know why the tug sank or exactly where, but Vega said it was believed to have gone down in the middle of the river. Traffic in both directions was shut down from the mouth of the river to near mile marker 10. It was to remain closed until authorities could locate the tug and determine whether it was a navigation hazard.
“Two people from the sunken tug were reported to enter the river and were rescued by a good Samaritan and transferred to the Coast Guard response boat and taken back to Station Venice,” the Coast Guard said in a news release. The names and condition of those rescued were not available.
The Army Corps of Engineers and local authorities were helping with the search, which included the use of sonar.
Ownership of the downed tug was unclear. The Coast Guard said it was working to find and contact the owner. Online records indicate the vessel was owned by a limited liability corporation with a Belle Chasse, La., address, but the corporation was listed as inactive on the Louisiana Secretary of State website.
Carnival Cruise Lines diverted its ship the Conquest from New Orleans to Mobile on Sunday afternoon, and passengers were to be driven to New Orleans.
The Conquest's next trip to the Bahamas has been shortened to a six-day voyage, scheduled to depart Mobile on Monday evening, Carnival said in a news release. Guests scheduled to sail on the shortened trip are being offered a one-day pro-rated refund or a full refund if they decide to cancel their trip.
The company was making contingency plans in case another ship, the Elation, was unable to reach New Orleans on Sunday night because of the river closure, Carnival spokeswoman Joyce Oliva said in an email.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Wikileaks founder teases about more secrets to be released
- Sullivan case still relied on in libel claims
- Expats renounce citizenship over U.S. tax hassles
- Obama losing close adviser to end 9 years of service
- Oklahoma governor’s daughter regrets wearing Native American headdress
- Former National Security Agency contractor Snowden’s leaks to cost billions, take years to fix
- Parents of ‘spoiled’ teen urge her to return home
- Obama gets in some golf on family trip to Key Largo
- Feds extend recognition of same-sex marriages
- Disney to end Boy Scouts funding over gay policy
- 5 more Duke Energy plants cited