TribLIVE

| USWorld


 
Larger text Larger text Smaller text Smaller text | Order Photo Reprints

Home torn down in Texas by mistake

Daily Photo Galleries

From Wire Reports
Thursday, July 18, 2013, 10:09 p.m.
 

FORT WORTH — A demolition company has mistakenly torn down a three-bedroom home in North Texas rather than the condemned building next door.

David Underwood and his wife placed their Fort Worth house on the market with the intention of moving into the retreat they purchased near the shores of Lake Worth. The lakeside land has been in the family for decades, and Underwood bought it from an aunt earlier this year.

But when they stopped by to mow the lawn Saturday, they found the home was gone. A slab of foundation remains.

Fort Worth hired the demolition company to raze the condemned building and was billed more than $6,000 for the work.

The condemned structure remains standing.

Underwood is seeking a settlement from the city. A city spokesman says officials are investigating.

“It's obviously a series of mistakes, and we're working to be right by it,” said Councilman Dennis Shingleton, whose district includes the Lake Worth-area home.

Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.

 

 
 


Show commenting policy

Most-Read Nation

  1. Mideast-North Africa category considered for 2020 Census
  2. Obama avoids calling terrorist attacks ‘Islamice_SSRq
  3. Teen girl Hernandez killed by Denver police once cited for resisting arrest
  4. Judge orders nonprofit tax form release in case against IRS
  5. Tickets let players bring home bacon — scent
  6. Executive order directs standards to reflect climate change projections
  7. Pittsburgh travelers feel effects of Northeast blizzard
  8. Day, night 4-digit drawings match
  9. Northeast waits for foot (or 2) of snow to drop
  10. Penn State University eyes changes to sexual misconduct case handling
  11. Alpha to idle two West Virginia coal mines