Witness claims Bulger put gun in his mouth
By The Associated Press
Published: Thursday, July 25, 2013, 6:33 p.m.
BOSTON — A real estate developer on Thursday described a harrowing encounter with James “Whitey” Bulger, recounting how the reputed gangster shoved a shotgun in his mouth and threatened to kill him and his family if he did not pay $200,000.
Richard Buccheri described the 1986 meeting while testifying in the racketeering trial of Bulger, who is charged with participating in 19 killings during the 1970s and '80s, as well as numerous extortions while he allegedly led the Winter Hill Gang.
Buccheri, 73, elicited gasps from spectators in the packed courtroom as he relayed how Bulger threatened him with two different guns.
He said Bulger told him he was not going to kill him then but said, “It's going to cost you.”
Bulger told him he would have to pay him $200,000, Buccheri said. “If you don't pay me in 30 days, I'm going to kill you and your family,” Buccheri quoted Bulger as saying.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- ‘Volcker Rule’ restricts banks in risky investments
- ‘Walking Dead’ actress guilty of sending ricin letters
- Senate panel vets noncontroversial IRS nominee
- Farm bill off for now, but milk prices not expected to spike — yet
- Congress scrambles to pass Defense package
- Teen found with dead fetus heads toward trial on shoplifting charges
- Texas’ Cornyn prepared for Senate challenge
- 6-year-old Colo. boy suspended for giving girl a kiss
- Americans move toward better health
- ‘Soul-crushing’ cold: 135.8 below
- FBI: Russian diplomats lied to get U.S. benefits