Witness claims Bulger put gun in his mouth
BOSTON — A real estate developer on Thursday described a harrowing encounter with James “Whitey” Bulger, recounting how the reputed gangster shoved a shotgun in his mouth and threatened to kill him and his family if he did not pay $200,000.
Richard Buccheri described the 1986 meeting while testifying in the racketeering trial of Bulger, who is charged with participating in 19 killings during the 1970s and '80s, as well as numerous extortions while he allegedly led the Winter Hill Gang.
Buccheri, 73, elicited gasps from spectators in the packed courtroom as he relayed how Bulger threatened him with two different guns.
He said Bulger told him he was not going to kill him then but said, “It's going to cost you.”
Bulger told him he would have to pay him $200,000, Buccheri said. “If you don't pay me in 30 days, I'm going to kill you and your family,” Buccheri quoted Bulger as saying.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Autistic twin men locked up in Maryland home
- Man convicted of enslaving woman gets 30 years
- Google may partner on project using N.Y. pay phones for WiFi
- Teen admits targeting Albuquerque transients, police say
- ‘Slenderman’ attack victim receives Purple Heart from anonymous well wisher
- Johns Hopkins will pay $190 million to settle hidden camera lawsuit
- Tsarnaev’s friend convicted in Boston Marathon bombing
- Inquiry broadens for IRS email case
- Immigration courts bracing for influx of youth migrants
- Beef industry’s environmental footprint bigger than pork, poultry, eggs, dairy, study finds
- Ex-insurance executive accused in plot to kill judge