Witness claims Bulger put gun in his mouth
BOSTON — A real estate developer on Thursday described a harrowing encounter with James “Whitey” Bulger, recounting how the reputed gangster shoved a shotgun in his mouth and threatened to kill him and his family if he did not pay $200,000.
Richard Buccheri described the 1986 meeting while testifying in the racketeering trial of Bulger, who is charged with participating in 19 killings during the 1970s and '80s, as well as numerous extortions while he allegedly led the Winter Hill Gang.
Buccheri, 73, elicited gasps from spectators in the packed courtroom as he relayed how Bulger threatened him with two different guns.
He said Bulger told him he was not going to kill him then but said, “It's going to cost you.”
Bulger told him he would have to pay him $200,000, Buccheri said. “If you don't pay me in 30 days, I'm going to kill you and your family,” Buccheri quoted Bulger as saying.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- High court to weigh pregnancy work rights
- FBI investigates celebrities’ nude photo claims
- Surveillance video in Wal-Mart police killing sought
- Ferguson police begin wearing body cameras
- Perry distances himself from unflattering image tweeted of DA
- Texas GOP lawmaker calls for end to 40-year crude oil export ban
- U.S. to get base in Niger to aid Islamist hunt
- Anti-abortion law in effect in Louisiana, with a caveat
- New heart failure drug works much better than current treatment, study finds
- Cleveland welcomes server farms
- President’s Labor Day appearance heavy on politicking