Witness claims Bulger put gun in his mouth
BOSTON — A real estate developer on Thursday described a harrowing encounter with James “Whitey” Bulger, recounting how the reputed gangster shoved a shotgun in his mouth and threatened to kill him and his family if he did not pay $200,000.
Richard Buccheri described the 1986 meeting while testifying in the racketeering trial of Bulger, who is charged with participating in 19 killings during the 1970s and '80s, as well as numerous extortions while he allegedly led the Winter Hill Gang.
Buccheri, 73, elicited gasps from spectators in the packed courtroom as he relayed how Bulger threatened him with two different guns.
He said Bulger told him he was not going to kill him then but said, “It's going to cost you.”
Bulger told him he would have to pay him $200,000, Buccheri said. “If you don't pay me in 30 days, I'm going to kill you and your family,” Buccheri quoted Bulger as saying.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Hungry bears push into Denver area
- Rock threatens base of Arizona dam
- Boeing names next space fleet
- Exploration of sunken German U-boat shown online
- Top Dem on panel says he’ll oppose Obama’s nuke deal
- Video footage expected to aid in hunt for 3 sought in shooting of Illinois police officer
- Bidens remain unsure of readiness for campaign
- California wildfires impede holiday fun
- Gay couple receives marriage license from controversial Ky. clerk’s office
- Charter schools unconstitutional, Washington state’s top court rules
- Clinton aides pressed former State worker Pagliano to testify on use of email