Witness claims Bulger put gun in his mouth
BOSTON — A real estate developer on Thursday described a harrowing encounter with James “Whitey” Bulger, recounting how the reputed gangster shoved a shotgun in his mouth and threatened to kill him and his family if he did not pay $200,000.
Richard Buccheri described the 1986 meeting while testifying in the racketeering trial of Bulger, who is charged with participating in 19 killings during the 1970s and '80s, as well as numerous extortions while he allegedly led the Winter Hill Gang.
Buccheri, 73, elicited gasps from spectators in the packed courtroom as he relayed how Bulger threatened him with two different guns.
He said Bulger told him he was not going to kill him then but said, “It's going to cost you.”
Bulger told him he would have to pay him $200,000, Buccheri said. “If you don't pay me in 30 days, I'm going to kill you and your family,” Buccheri quoted Bulger as saying.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- In 2005, Cosby said he got drugs to give women for sex
- Texas wants its gold back in the state’s borders
- Maryland mother charged with leaving baby on roadside
- Chicago father won’t cooperate with police in shooting death of boy, 7
- Obama vows to stick with current strategy against Islamic State
- Chesapeake Bay pollution plan approved
- Disguise aids $75K robbery of Oklahoma Wal-Mart store
- Markets ‘shrug off’ Greece debt saga
- Senante begins new debate on federal role for schools
- Infantry veteran gets nod to lead Marines as top general
- Police: No evidence of gunshot at Walter Reed hospital