Witness claims Bulger put gun in his mouth
BOSTON — A real estate developer on Thursday described a harrowing encounter with James “Whitey” Bulger, recounting how the reputed gangster shoved a shotgun in his mouth and threatened to kill him and his family if he did not pay $200,000.
Richard Buccheri described the 1986 meeting while testifying in the racketeering trial of Bulger, who is charged with participating in 19 killings during the 1970s and '80s, as well as numerous extortions while he allegedly led the Winter Hill Gang.
Buccheri, 73, elicited gasps from spectators in the packed courtroom as he relayed how Bulger threatened him with two different guns.
He said Bulger told him he was not going to kill him then but said, “It's going to cost you.”
Bulger told him he would have to pay him $200,000, Buccheri said. “If you don't pay me in 30 days, I'm going to kill you and your family,” Buccheri quoted Bulger as saying.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- U.S., Cuba patching torn relations with historic accord
- $1.5B more a year — from fees tacked onto phone bills — earmarked for faster Internet
- AP sources: Cuba releases U.S. prisoner Alan Gross
- Bill to save tax breaks on its way to Obama’s desk
- ISIS does ‘the warm and fuzzy’ to attract women, doctors, accountants
- IRS freezes hiring, stops overtime pay, warns it won’t answer half of its calls amid 3% funding cut
- Social Security resumes aggressive method of trying to collect debts from families
- Senators vote to confirm Murthy as Obama’s choice for surgeon general
- NYC teenager a liar, not a penny stocks whiz worth $72M
- Billion gallons of cruise sewage dumped into ocean in 2014, environmental group finds
- Sharing day of protest in New York, SantaCon pulls back on reins