Witness claims Bulger put gun in his mouth
BOSTON — A real estate developer on Thursday described a harrowing encounter with James “Whitey” Bulger, recounting how the reputed gangster shoved a shotgun in his mouth and threatened to kill him and his family if he did not pay $200,000.
Richard Buccheri described the 1986 meeting while testifying in the racketeering trial of Bulger, who is charged with participating in 19 killings during the 1970s and '80s, as well as numerous extortions while he allegedly led the Winter Hill Gang.
Buccheri, 73, elicited gasps from spectators in the packed courtroom as he relayed how Bulger threatened him with two different guns.
He said Bulger told him he was not going to kill him then but said, “It's going to cost you.”
Bulger told him he would have to pay him $200,000, Buccheri said. “If you don't pay me in 30 days, I'm going to kill you and your family,” Buccheri quoted Bulger as saying.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- ‘Fast, Furious’ pistol was sold to gunman in foiled Texas terrorist attack
- Construction of giant bridges sparks curiosity, high demand for public tours
- Clintons hauled in $139M in past 8 years
- Minn. dentist laying low in slaying of lion
- Highway bill on Obama’s desk extends funding 3 months
- Fires’ fury unabated in California
- San Francisco’s Chinatown clings to roots amid tech boom
- Blankenship defense wants Upper Big Branch explosion evidence kept away from jury
- Feds accuse Philadelphia congressman Fattah of corruption
- VA whistle-blowers aghast
- Defense chief approves arming more troops at soft sites