Witness claims Bulger put gun in his mouth
BOSTON — A real estate developer on Thursday described a harrowing encounter with James “Whitey” Bulger, recounting how the reputed gangster shoved a shotgun in his mouth and threatened to kill him and his family if he did not pay $200,000.
Richard Buccheri described the 1986 meeting while testifying in the racketeering trial of Bulger, who is charged with participating in 19 killings during the 1970s and '80s, as well as numerous extortions while he allegedly led the Winter Hill Gang.
Buccheri, 73, elicited gasps from spectators in the packed courtroom as he relayed how Bulger threatened him with two different guns.
He said Bulger told him he was not going to kill him then but said, “It's going to cost you.”
Bulger told him he would have to pay him $200,000, Buccheri said. “If you don't pay me in 30 days, I'm going to kill you and your family,” Buccheri quoted Bulger as saying.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Wife, brother accused in man’s hatchet killing
- Senate committee backs vets’ rights to marijuana
- Obama gets state, local allies for key initiatives
- Doctors, hospitals get more time to convert to electronic health records
- Rescuers find stranded woman in California desert, too late for husband
- Shuttered Tenn. cemetery opens for Memorial Day
- Ohio’s largest road project to cost 3 times its estimate
- Woman ends protest from anchor chain in Wash. against drilling
- EPA expected to expand protection of streams, wetlands
- Phone threats put scare into international flights
- Cleveland settles policing issues with Justice Department