Witness claims Bulger put gun in his mouth
BOSTON — A real estate developer on Thursday described a harrowing encounter with James “Whitey” Bulger, recounting how the reputed gangster shoved a shotgun in his mouth and threatened to kill him and his family if he did not pay $200,000.
Richard Buccheri described the 1986 meeting while testifying in the racketeering trial of Bulger, who is charged with participating in 19 killings during the 1970s and '80s, as well as numerous extortions while he allegedly led the Winter Hill Gang.
Buccheri, 73, elicited gasps from spectators in the packed courtroom as he relayed how Bulger threatened him with two different guns.
He said Bulger told him he was not going to kill him then but said, “It's going to cost you.”
Bulger told him he would have to pay him $200,000, Buccheri said. “If you don't pay me in 30 days, I'm going to kill you and your family,” Buccheri quoted Bulger as saying.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Graham rejects GOP Benghazi report as ‘garbage’
- Obama defends executive action on illegals
- Even before Ebola contained, U.S. looks to next health crisis
- Spying software reportedly snooped on companies, governments, individuals since 2008
- Tufts center study: It costs $2.6B to get drug to market
- Tension, anxiety mount in Ferguson as grand jury ruling awaited
- Admiral denies role in counterfeiting casino chips
- 32 horses killed in stable fire near Chicago
- E-cigarettes cut cravings, study finds
- Florida man who ambushed police held anti-government beliefs
- 3-mile buffer suggested for grouse breeding, oil and gas drilling