Speeding Zimmerman avoids ticket in Texas
FORNEY, Texas — George Zimmerman, the neighborhood watch volunteer who was cleared of all charges in the Florida shooting death of unarmed teenager Trayvon Martin, was stopped for speeding on a highway near Dallas, officials said Wednesday.
Forney police stopped Zimmerman on Sunday as he drove west on U.S. 80, about 20 miles east of Dallas. A police dashcam video released Wednesday shows an officer interacting with Zimmerman after pulling him over.
The officer, who was not identified, asks Zimmerman, “Where you headed this weekend?”
After an unintelligible response, the officer asks, “Nowhere in particular? Why you say that?”
“You didn't see my name?” Zimmerman asks.
“What a coincidence!” the officer says.
“Calm down man, you're good,” the officer reassures Zimmerman. “... We'll let you off with a warning.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Big Bang ‘waves’ go poof under analysis
- ‘Drink of the Devil’ unites formerly feuding families
- Drivers, return to your car dealers for 2nd airbag fix
- Brooklyn warehouse goes up in smoke
- Deportation relief applications for illegal immigrants available soon
- Internet rules in line for big shift
- Hillary Clinton’s charter jet costs scrutinized
- NASA satellite to track water in soil
- States have marked drop in juvenile prison populations
- Judge expresses doubt about constitutionality of no-fly list
- Secretary of State Kerry says Cuba talks offer chance to improve lives