This time, it was a dog that was stuck in a tree
By The Associated Press
Published: Tuesday, Aug. 13, 2013, 9:18 p.m.
DAVENPORT, Iowa — A 7-year-old border collie who was missing from his Iowa home for a few days didn't get very far — he only went up.
Laddy was found on Sunday morning stuck in a tree two blocks from his Davenport home, the Quad-City Times reported.
“I asked where they found him, and the officer said, ‘You'll never believe this,' ” said his owner, Cynthia Weeks.
Ron Stevenson was working in the yard of his home when he heard a dog. He had heard the dog barking, but he didn't want to complain. However, something was different this time.
“I heard a whining, and I knew something wasn't right. This time, it sounded in distress,” Stevenson said.
He followed the sound along his driveway and, counterintuitively, looked up. There was the dog, at least 10 feet up in the tree.
“He was kind of shielded by leaves on the tree,” Stevenson said of the dog, who he thinks maybe ran up the oak tree's gradually sloping trunk but then became too scared to run back down.
Stevenson told the newspaper that he called police and accepted one dispatcher's skepticism.
“They got here pretty fast, but I was getting impatient,” he said. “I didn't know if the dog would bite me, but I just sort of shimmied up the tree. I grabbed him by the collar and sort of pulled him. I said, ‘It's time for you to get out of this tree.'” A responding police officer had seen fliers about Laddy and knew where the dog lived. He was reunited with Weeks a short time later.
Weeks said she believes Laddy escaped on Friday from an invisible electronic fencing system thanks to a non-working battery in his collar. She said his love for squirrels and chasing things probably led him up the tree. Despite a few scrapes on the pads of his feet, he's fine.
“He was pretty subdued when he got home,” she said. “He's been doing a ton of sleeping.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Court upholds EPA emissions restrictions
- Shale oil, gas drilling boom wins favor with labor unions, thwarting environmentalists
- Health insurance subsidies under Obamacare to cost slightly less than previously thought
- Drug crime reclassification to help ex-cons get vote rights
- Health care law enrollee passwords at risk for Heartbleed Internet security flaw, feds warn
- Navy endorses 24-hour sleep cycle for sailors
- Suspect in Jewish community sites shootings appears in court in wheelchair
- Bankrupt Detroit, retired cops, fire crews agree to deal that saves pensions
- SpaceX supply ship makes Easter cargo delivery to space station
- Iranian envoy officially blocked by law
- Washington’s snowy owl recovers from apparent bus crash, returns to wild