Dog attack leaves lazy Alaska mayor with major injuries
ANCHORAGE — For the honorary mayor of Talkeetna, Alaska, a weekend dogfight was less political, more literal.
Mayor Stubbs the cat is recovering at a veterinarian's office in Wasilla from being injured by a dog Saturday night in the quirky tourist town near Denali National Park.
Owner Lauri Stec tells KTUU that Stubbs suffered a fractured sternum and a punctured lung, and has undergone three hours of surgery.
Stec is planning to file a police report. She says the would-be assassin “needs to go away.”
Residents didn't like the mayoral candidates years ago, so they encouraged enough people to elect Stubbs as a write-in candidate.
Although his position is honorary, Stubbs' popularity is real, earning national stories and subsequent visits from tourists. He normally spends his days at a main street general store.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Woman gives birth to baby boy on side of Utah highway
- Fine weighed in North Carolina river coal ash spill
- Navy abandons ‘global force for good’ to broaden appeal
- Pregnant smokers persuaded to quit with free diapers
- Goats offered as alternative for clearing area of plutonium
- Medicare payments to tie doctor, hospital payments to quality rather than volume of care
- Drivers, return to your car dealers for 2nd airbag fix
- Judge orders nonprofit tax form release in case against IRS
- Prospective juror in Tsarnaev trial cites sympathy for suspect in Boston Marathon bombing
- Parody a point of racial division
- Big Bang ‘waves’ go poof under analysis