Dog attack leaves lazy Alaska mayor with major injuries
ANCHORAGE — For the honorary mayor of Talkeetna, Alaska, a weekend dogfight was less political, more literal.
Mayor Stubbs the cat is recovering at a veterinarian's office in Wasilla from being injured by a dog Saturday night in the quirky tourist town near Denali National Park.
Owner Lauri Stec tells KTUU that Stubbs suffered a fractured sternum and a punctured lung, and has undergone three hours of surgery.
Stec is planning to file a police report. She says the would-be assassin “needs to go away.”
Residents didn't like the mayoral candidates years ago, so they encouraged enough people to elect Stubbs as a write-in candidate.
Although his position is honorary, Stubbs' popularity is real, earning national stories and subsequent visits from tourists. He normally spends his days at a main street general store.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Supreme Court rules against Kentucky county clerk on gay marriage licenses
- Less sleep increases your chance of catching a cold, researchers say
- Russia, China ply cyberdata to exploit U.S. spies
- Postal Service falls short of slower mail delivery standards
- Suspect in Houston-area deputy’s death has history of mental illness, prosecutors say
- McKinley backers balk over mountain’s name change
- New Orleans slow to heal 10 years after Hurricane Katrina
- Information in Clinton emails ‘born classified,’ former federal security watchdog says
- Hawaii coral reefs under observation as dangerous bleaching expected again soon
- 13 states spared EPA regulation of waterways
- Gas boom brings successes, struggles to W.Va. communities