Dog attack leaves lazy Alaska mayor with major injuries
ANCHORAGE — For the honorary mayor of Talkeetna, Alaska, a weekend dogfight was less political, more literal.
Mayor Stubbs the cat is recovering at a veterinarian's office in Wasilla from being injured by a dog Saturday night in the quirky tourist town near Denali National Park.
Owner Lauri Stec tells KTUU that Stubbs suffered a fractured sternum and a punctured lung, and has undergone three hours of surgery.
Stec is planning to file a police report. She says the would-be assassin “needs to go away.”
Residents didn't like the mayoral candidates years ago, so they encouraged enough people to elect Stubbs as a write-in candidate.
Although his position is honorary, Stubbs' popularity is real, earning national stories and subsequent visits from tourists. He normally spends his days at a main street general store.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Suspect in custody after shooting at Colorado Planned Parenthood
- Floods claim lives in Texas
- Man accused of jumping White House fence left suicide note, authorities say
- Plasma burp seen in star’s destruction by black hole
- Chicago retail district targeted by protesters
- American held captive in Cuba for 5 years expected quick release
- Experts foresee big premium increases for Medicare drug plan
- Democrats face long odds in battle for lost congressional seats
- Supreme Court justices to review Texas’ limits on abortion clinics
- Police investigate flights diverted for suspicious passengers, bomb threats
- Drugmakers Pfizer, Allergan reportedly on brink of $150 billion merger