Dog attack leaves lazy Alaska mayor with major injuries
ANCHORAGE — For the honorary mayor of Talkeetna, Alaska, a weekend dogfight was less political, more literal.
Mayor Stubbs the cat is recovering at a veterinarian's office in Wasilla from being injured by a dog Saturday night in the quirky tourist town near Denali National Park.
Owner Lauri Stec tells KTUU that Stubbs suffered a fractured sternum and a punctured lung, and has undergone three hours of surgery.
Stec is planning to file a police report. She says the would-be assassin “needs to go away.”
Residents didn't like the mayoral candidates years ago, so they encouraged enough people to elect Stubbs as a write-in candidate.
Although his position is honorary, Stubbs' popularity is real, earning national stories and subsequent visits from tourists. He normally spends his days at a main street general store.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Obama to mandate steeper emissions cuts from power plants
- 2 women advance to final phase of Army Ranger training
- State Department accuses top Clinton aide of violations
- Dusty Atlantic Ocean thwarts tropical storms
- Construction of giant bridges sparks curiosity, high demand for public tours
- Fires’ fury unabated in California
- U.S., Hong Kong researchers develop computer model to examine spread of influenza
- Pressure mounts for Biden to join 2016 White House race
- Marines finally ready to roll out controversial fighter jet
- 4 dead, 65 sickened in Bronx by Legionella
- Food industry players fighting proposed dietary guidelines drop millions on lobbyists