Dog attack leaves lazy Alaska mayor with major injuries
ANCHORAGE — For the honorary mayor of Talkeetna, Alaska, a weekend dogfight was less political, more literal.
Mayor Stubbs the cat is recovering at a veterinarian's office in Wasilla from being injured by a dog Saturday night in the quirky tourist town near Denali National Park.
Owner Lauri Stec tells KTUU that Stubbs suffered a fractured sternum and a punctured lung, and has undergone three hours of surgery.
Stec is planning to file a police report. She says the would-be assassin “needs to go away.”
Residents didn't like the mayoral candidates years ago, so they encouraged enough people to elect Stubbs as a write-in candidate.
Although his position is honorary, Stubbs' popularity is real, earning national stories and subsequent visits from tourists. He normally spends his days at a main street general store.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Teacher tried to stop school shooting
- Officers swarm California counties as deputies killed in shooting rampage
- Teacher tried to stop Washington state shooting
- 3 Supreme Court justices offer Yale students an insider’s look at personalities
- Philadelphia Mafia figure returned to prison for meeting friend
- Anti-abortion group tries to sway votes of women in Democratic households
- 1686 shipwreck ‘like dinosaur’ being rebuilt for museum
- 2 California deputies slain, suspect captured
- Seattle area school homecoming ‘prince’ guns down classmates
- WWII pilot takes off in B-29 yet again
- Election picture looks less predictable with Ebola, ISIS on the table