Dog attack leaves lazy Alaska mayor with major injuries
ANCHORAGE — For the honorary mayor of Talkeetna, Alaska, a weekend dogfight was less political, more literal.
Mayor Stubbs the cat is recovering at a veterinarian's office in Wasilla from being injured by a dog Saturday night in the quirky tourist town near Denali National Park.
Owner Lauri Stec tells KTUU that Stubbs suffered a fractured sternum and a punctured lung, and has undergone three hours of surgery.
Stec is planning to file a police report. She says the would-be assassin “needs to go away.”
Residents didn't like the mayoral candidates years ago, so they encouraged enough people to elect Stubbs as a write-in candidate.
Although his position is honorary, Stubbs' popularity is real, earning national stories and subsequent visits from tourists. He normally spends his days at a main street general store.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Nurse who survived Ebola virus says Dallas hospital failed her
- Cold, snow break February records in Northeast
- Dead dog found in pickup truck in icy river
- No signs of deal on Homeland funding
- GOP senators pledge help if court bars health care law subsidies
- Astronauts complete extensive cable job in spacewalks
- Natural gas royalties lawsuit hinges on transaction date
- Lawmakers press Veterans Affairs for improved access to rural health care
- 2 W.Va. coal operators sentenced in scheme
- Supreme Court’s health care law ruling worries 34 states
- Homeland Security panned for passing on bio-threat technology