Lucky cat in Juneau falls 11 stories, survives
JUNEAU — A house cat in Alaska learned the hard way not to chase mosquitoes after following one out a window and falling 11 stories.
The 2-year-old cat, named Wasabi, survived but suffered a fractured leg and broken bones.
The Juneau Empire reports the cat was chasing the mosquito Monday in her owners' apartment in Juneau, about two blocks from the state Capitol.
The mosquito escaped out a window, and Wasabi went after it. Stephanie Gustafson says her mother watched the female cat fall.
Wasabi landed in a parking lot, and Gustafson found her huddled nearby, bloody and wet from rain.
The cat underwent an operation and has pins and wires holding together her fractured leg and broken bones in a joint. She is sporting a pink cast.
Gustafson says Wasabi is expected to heal in about six weeks.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- U.S. to arm Iraq’s Sunni tribesmen
- New nuke carrier will arrive late, incomplete
- D.C. charges woman over armed protest
- Former nuke commander linked to fake poker chips
- 3-mile buffer suggested for grouse breeding, oil and gas drilling
- Man sets house fire, kills deputy
- Ferguson, Mo., grand jury to meet Monday, decide on possible indictment of police officer
- Bighorn sheep escapes Los Angeles Zoo
- Former Pa. state worker charged with stealing 610 helmets
- U.S. releases ‘forever prisoner’ from Gitmo
- Locavore movement takes to deer hunting across country