Gitmo photos won't be released
NEW YORK — The government does not have to release photographs and dozens of videotapes of a Saudi citizen detained at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, in the investigation of the 9/11 attacks, a judge ruled Friday after concluding they don't depict illegal conduct, evidence of mistreatment or potential sources of governmental embarrassment.
Authorities have said Mohammed al-Qahtani narrowly missed being one of the 9/11 hijackers when he was denied entry into the United States at an Orlando airport a month before the 2001 attacks. Charges against him were dropped.
The Center for Constitutional Rights sued the Departments of Defense and Justice and the CIA last year in Manhattan, saying the release of videotapes and photographs of his interrogation would be in the public interest.
U.S. District Judge Naomi Reice Buchwald, who reviewed a government summary of the videotapes, said the images were properly classified secret because it was “both logical and plausible that extremists” would use them to incite anti-American sentiment, raise funds and recruit loyalists.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Ramping up e-cigarette voltage may be more hazardous to health
- Obama to seek protection of wilderness designation for Alaska refuge
- Arizona hospital tests brain tumor drugs by giving patients dose, then operating
- New York father kils 3 generations of family, himself
- Snowstorm crawls up coast, hitting New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, parts of Pennsylvania
- Gunfire kills 3 at party in vacant house in Omaha
- Rosetta spacecraft providing data on its comet traveling partner
- Vanderbilt University gang-rape defense points to campus culture
- Grandma thwarts Oregon purse-snatcher who can’t shake her off car
- Marine Corps’ general outlines priorities, vision
- Boy, 13, arrested in fatal stabbing at David Wark Griffith Middle School in East Los Angeles