Firecrackers tossed at White House
Published: Monday, Sept. 16, 2013, 10:03 p.m.
WASHINGTON — A man threw firecrackers over the White House's north fence on Monday, just hours after a shooting rampage in the capital in which 12 people died, the Secret Service said.
Uniformed agents sealed off the area in front of the presidential mansion and ordered journalists in the driveway in front of the West Wing to move inside the building.
With the capital on high alert because of the earlier shootings, reaction to the firecrackers was immediate, with some people tweeting that shots had been heard.
“There have not been shots outside the White House,” said Secret Service spokesman Ed Donovan.
Video of the incident showed agents apprehending a man dressed in shorts and a short-sleeve shirt before leading him away.
The man, identified as Alexander Sahagian, has been arrested, a law enforcement official said. The charge was likely to be throwing projectiles.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Scientists achieve cloning advance for use in treating diseases
- Court upholds EPA emissions restrictions
- Clinton donor pleads guilty in illegal campaign contributions
- Heroin-related deaths set record in Ohio
- Reid calls Nevada rancher’s supporters ‘terrorists’ over armed confrontation
- Husband accused in slaying ate pot candy, police say
- Deal reached in Ukraine crisis talks, but U.S. remains wary of Russia’s end game
- Obamacare estimates beaten by 1M
- Imam’s influence detailed as NYC terror trial begins
- Law firm that cleared Christie recently gave $10K to GOP governors group
- Another arrest made in abduction of N.C. prosecutor’s father