Winner of $400M Powerball jackpot keeps quiet in S.C.
COLUMBIA, S.C. — The winner of a $400 million Powerball jackpot cashed in his ticket on Monday, but he told lottery officials that he wants to remain anonymous.
The lottery released a few details about last week's winner, who lives in Columbia.
He stopped to get gas at a Murphy Express gas station in Columbia the day of the drawing last Wednesday, and his wife told him to buy some hot dog buns. The store didn't sell buns, but when he saw the $400 million prize advertised, the winner bought $20 in lottery tickets instead, lottery officials said.
It was only his second time playing the lottery, he told officials.
The winner checked his ticket Thursday at his home and realized he was a winner. He told the only creature around, his dog, according to the South Carolina lottery.
South Carolina is one of only six Powerball states that allow winners to refuse to let their identities to be released. The others are Delaware, Kansas, Maryland, North Dakota and Ohio.
Lottery officials aren't saying whether the man took the $399.4 million payout over 30 years or the direct cash option of $233 million. The jackpot was the fourth largest in the history of the game.
The winning numbers were 7-10-22-32-35, with the Powerball of 19, and were selected by the computer as a “quick-pick.”
State officials said the winner will pay South Carolina about $15 million in taxes.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Gun used by agent who helped jail Capone headed to museum
- Global warming is slowing down the circulation of the oceans — with potentially dire consequences
- Fraternity’s racist chant among its traditions, University of Oklahoma finds
- Maryland might owe federal government millions for health care exchange
- American crash victims: U.S. government contractor, daughter
- $140M Picasso likely to set auction record
- Sen. Reid follows same old script for Democrats as he endorses Schumer as successor
- Burgettstown man charged with murder escapes psychiatric hospital
- Refunds hijacked in unique manner
- Feds arrest guardsman, cousin for terror plot on military facility