Ex-teacher ends 30-day sentence in rape of teen student in Montana
BILLINGS, Mont. — A former Montana high school teacher was released from prison on Thursday upon completing a 30-day sentence for raping a 14-year-old student, a term that is under review by the state's high court and spurred critics to call for the removal of the judge who handled the case.
Stacey Rambold, 54, left the Montana State Prison in Deer Lodge after serving the sentence handed down by District Judge G. Todd Baugh for the 2007 rape of Cherice Moralez.
The judge drew outrage last month over the sentence's leniency and comments he made that appeared to pin some of the blame on Moralez.
The teenager committed suicide in 2010 before Rambold went to trial.
State prosecutors are appealing the sentence, saying Rambold should have received a minimum of two years. But barring new offenses, the former teacher has served his time and will stay out of prison pending the appeal.
Rambold was picked up at the prison by a family member Thursday morning and returned to Billings, where he was seen later in the day reporting to a state probation office.
He's been registered as a level 1 sex offender — meaning he's considered a low risk to re-offend— and will remain on probation through 2028 unless the original sentence is overruled.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Los Angeles-based water agency’s land buy rattles California farmers
- Obama signs $607B Defense bill but blasts GOP limits for Gitmo
- Peanut glut poses hefty bailout tab for taxpayers
- ‘Crisis mode’ near at U.S.-Mexico line as nearly 5,000 children try to cross border in October
- Obama: No credible intelligence about terror plot against US
- New Hampshire cancer patient gets permission to travel to Maine for medical pot
- Self-driving vehicles closer to getting green light as feds ease stance
- Barrier nears completion in Indiana marsh to keep Asian carp from Great Lakes
- Feds tell railroads they must meet deadlines for lifesaving technology
- Foreign policy expert: Obama administration should create Syria safe areas
- Ex-Subway pitchman Jared Fogle gets 15 years in prison for chid porn, sex with underage prostitutes