Dying dad escorts 'princess' down the aisle from gurney
CLEVELAND — A terminally ill Ohio man who arrived at his daughter's wedding by ambulance gave her away, from a hospital gurney.
Guests cried and clapped as Scott Nagy took part in his daughter Sarah's wedding on Saturday at First Evangelical Lutheran Church in Strongsville, The Plain Dealer of Cleveland reported.
A volunteer team of medical professionals helped Nagy escort the 24-year-old bride as groom Angelo Salvatore and the Rev. Chuck Knerem awaited their arrival.
“It was a promise I made in March, to walk her down the aisle,” said the 56-year-old. “She's my princess. This is my definition of walking down the aisle.”
Nagy was diagnosed last year with urethral cancer and has undergone chemotherapy. He has been at University Hospitals Seidman Cancer Center since August.
Doctors were uncertain whether he would be able to make the wedding, initially scheduled for next year. But with monitor cords slipped under his tuxedo and a tracheal tube attached, he made the trip down the aisle, kissing a grandson who was the ringbearer and giving a thumb's up.
“There was no way he was not going to finish this out,” said his wife, Jean.
Jacky Uljanic, a nurse practitioner with the hospital, helped make the arrangements for Nagy to attend the wedding. She put him through daily therapy to build up his strength and checked on the logistics in advance. Physicians Medical Transport donated the ambulance trip, and a doctor and other medical personnel accompanied Nagy on the ride.
Sarah said that since she was a little girl, she has wanted her father to escort her down the aisle when she married. She said her future husband assured her she would get her wish.
At the vestibule, she burst into tears and told her father she loved him.
“We did it,” Nagy said to her, and reminded her not to streak her makeup.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Feds to protect 20 coral species
- Louisiana Gov. Jindal sues Obama over Common Core
- Senate to look at earthquake risks at California nuke plant
- Ferguson regains its peace, normalcy
- Pilot missing in Va. fighter crash
- Defense rests in case against ex-Va. governor, first lady
- Texas man cleared of shooting drunken driver who killed his 2 sons
- Johns’ ex-aide admits thefts
- Retailers warned about software
- His murder-arson conviction overturned, man walks free 24 years later
- Hot-sauce company offers tours to irritated neighbors