Man pleads guilty to shooting golfer over errant ball
RENO — A man accused of shooting a golfer who broke a window of his home with an errant ball has pleaded guilty to a felony charge.
Jeff Fleming of Reno entered the plea to battery with a deadly weapon in Washoe County District Court. The possible penalty ranges from probation to 10 years in prison and a $10,000 fine when he's sentenced on Dec. 12.
The golfer was unable to find his ball and was doing a drop shot on the 16th hole of the Lakeridge Golf Course in September 2012 when Fleming approached and fired a single shot at him with a shotgun, prosecutors said. The golfer was treated for minor wounds in an arm and both legs at a hospital.
Deputy District Attorney Sean Neahusan said neighbors along the golf course were stunned as it's common for stray balls to hit their homes.
“Live on a golf course and you got to expect your house to get hit every once in a while,” he said. “This (shooting) is one of those stories that you just can't make it up.”
Neahusan said he's unsure what motivated the shooting and referred queries about Fleming's mental state to his lawyer, Larry Dunn.
Dunn did not immediately return phone calls.
Fleming, 53, has expressed remorse and shock over his reaction to the broken window, Neahusan said.
“I'm not sure what was going on, but from what I've read and heard, it definitely sounds out of character,” the prosecutor said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Former Pa. state worker charged with stealing 610 helmets
- Speaker Boehner vows House response to Obama’s immigration policy changes
- Paralyzed Marine uses robotic legs to walk during Bronze Star ceremony
- As snow melts, floods a growing concern in Buffalo
- Former Va. Sen. Webb launches presidential exploratory committee
- Utah’s concealed-carry permits skyrocket in popularity
- Mastectomies defy logic of survival rates
- 5 family members killed on ‘dream trip’ to Disney
- Nebraska hospital: Surgeon with Ebola has died
- Plan in works to speed up schools’ Internet service
- Senate Democrats reject bill to build Keystone pipeline