Okla. teen mines 3.85-carat gem
MURFREESBORO, Ark. — A 14-year-old girl from Oklahoma City has unearthed a 3.85-carat diamond at Arkansas' Crater of Diamonds State Park.
Tana Clymer discovered the canary gem Saturday at the park, which is the only diamond-producing site in the United States that is open to the public. Tana said she'd been digging in the dirt for about two hours when she discovered the gem on the surface of the search field.
The yellow diamond is teardrop-shaped and about the size of a jellybean.
“This canary diamond is very similar to the gem-quality, 4.21-carat canary diamond found at the Crater of Diamonds by Oklahoma State Trooper Marvin Culver of Nowata, Oklahoma, on March 12, 2006, a gem he named the Okie Dokie Diamond,” said Bill Henderson, assistant park superintendent.
Tana named the diamond “God's Jewel,” park officials said.
“Tana told me that she was so excited, she couldn't sleep last night,” Henderson said. “She's either going to keep the diamond for a ring, or, if it's worth a lot, she'll want that for college.”
Many diamonds have been found close to the surface so far this year, Henderson said, noting that heavy rainfall pushes dirt away, leaving the diamond exposed.
Her gem is the 396th diamond found so far this year at the park in southern Arkansas. Other gems discovered at the state park include amethyst, garnet, peridot, jasper, agate, calcite, barite, and quartz.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- At least 2 dead after plane crashes at Kansas airport
- Maine nurse defies Ebola quarantine with bike ride
- Unaccompanied immigrants put heavy strain on schools, charities
- Ebola virus could overwhelm health care system, AP finds
- Terminally ill Oregon woman makes last wishes
- FBI plays IT ‘nerd’ card to con way into Vegas villa
- CEO says launch explosion will not deter work
- Ethics office finds ‘substantial reason to believe’ Georgia Republican
- Murky Pentagon contract ends in guilty verdicts
- 1st vaccine for deadly form of meningitis approved
- N.Y. mother decapitated