Saudi air force sergeant guilty of raping 13-year-old boy
LAS VEGAS — A jury found a Saudi Arabia air force sergeant guilty on Wednesday of raping a 13-year-old boy at a Las Vegas Strip hotel New Year's Eve.
Defendant Mazen Alotaibi remained seated, clenching his jaw but showing no other outward emotion as the verdict was read in Nevada state court.
The 24-year-old Royal Saudi Air Force mechanic, who had been in the United States for military training, will have a minimum mandatory 35 years in state prison at sentencing Dec. 16.
Clark County District Court Judge Stefany Miley could sentence him to prison for life.
The jury of nine women and three men found Alotaibi guilty of sexual assault with a minor for forcing sex acts on the boy in the bathroom of a sixth-floor room at the Circus Circus hotel, and lewdness with a child for fondling and kissing the boy on the way to the room.
Alotaibi decided not to testify in his defense.
Jurors instead saw a 70-minute videotaped police interview in which Alotaibi told detectives the boy offered sex for marijuana or money. After several minutes of denials, Alotaibi acknowledged to police that he engaged in sex with the boy.
The Associated Press is withholding the boy's name because of his age and the nature of the case.
Nevada state law says a child under 16 can't give consent. But Alotaibi's lawyer, Don Chairez, said Alotaibi was too intoxicated after drinking all night at a strip club to know if he was doing anything wrong.
Chairez spoke with jurors after the verdict and said outside court that he will appeal.
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments â either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.