Classes resume at Massachusetts school where teacher was slain
DANVERS, Mass. — Students in the Massachusetts school where a classmate allegedly killed a teacher returned on Friday, surrounded by extra safety measures as well as tributes to the victim, including trees adorned with pink ribbons, her favorite color.
Classes resumed in Danvers High School two days after student Philip Chism, 14, was charged with murder in the death of Colleen Ritzer, a 24-year-old math teacher. School had been canceled the previous two days.
The day was stressful and difficult, said freshman Cambria Cloutier, 14.
“Everyone was just kind of crying,” she said.
Cloutier had class with Ritzer and Chism, and she returned to the classroom to find it stripped of pictures and handwriting. “There was basically no life in it,” she said.
Outside the school, an electronic sign displayed a tweet that Ritzer posted this summer: “No matter what happens in life, be good to people. Being good to people is a wonderful legacy to leave behind.”
“RIP Miss Ritzer. Gone, not forgotten,” was written in the school colors of blue and white on the windows of a pickup truck in the student parking lot.
Caio Silva, a senior and varsity soccer player, said he knew Chism and Ritzer. He said he and his teammates are helping each other.
“A lot of the guys are really shocked. A lot of guys are down, really upset,” he said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Mountaineer workers fear smoking ban will harm ‘livelihood’
- To fight crime, Chicago tries wiping away arrests
- Special prosecutor pushed for IRS probe
- VA nominee to demand ‘urgent action,’ he tells panel
- Supreme Court justices’ cellphone privacy ruling likely to have broad impact
- Defiant Vietnam POW honored
- SpaceX clears major hurdle in quest for government contracts
- House committee considers new oversight for CDC labs
- Lawmakers, allies waver on planned troop pullout from Afghanistan
- HGH use on the rise in teens, survey finds
- U.S. intel believes civilian plane might have been mistaken for Ukraine military aircraft