Data center glitch latest to plague health care law
WASHINGTON — A data center critical for allowing uninsured Americans to buy health coverage under President Obama's health care law went down on Sunday, the government said, in the latest problem for the Affordable Care Act rollout.
Verizon's Terremark operates the data center behind a federal system for determining eligibility for government subsidies to buy insurance nationwide and hosts HealthCare.gov, the website that makes insurance available in 36 of the 50 states.
The data center experienced a failure on Sunday that led it to lose network connectivity, Health and Human Services Department spokeswoman Joanne Peters said.
Online insurance exchanges opened on Oct. 1 under the law to offer health insurance plans to millions of uninsured Americans. But technical glitches and delays have marred the rollout as would-be customers encounter error messages and long waits, often failing to make it through the system despite repeated tries.
“We are working with Terremark to get their timeline for addressing the issue,” Peters wrote in an email.
Peters said the newest glitch affected a data services hub — an electronic traffic roundabout that connects numerous federal agencies and can verify people's identity and citizenship.
The data services hub affects customers of both HealthCare.gov and the state-run exchanges.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Reagan shooter Hinckley closer to permanent freedom
- U.S. attorney general nominee Lynch vote likely this week, U.S. senator says
- Service marks 20 years since Oklahoma City bombing
- Accused terror plotter pleads not guilty in Ohio
- ‘Dr. Oz’ to counter criticisms on air
- Author says demise of coal cannot be reversed
- Collection gives insight into Oklahoma City federal building bomber McVeigh
- Foggy Interstate 70 pileup injures dozen in Colorado
- Social media makes it difficult for ‘hero’ to stay anonymous
- Dog lovers know it’s chemistry at work
- Federal appeals court appears divided on Obama’s immigrant deportation shield