Strong winds hit Southwest
TRACY, Calif. — A storm blasted the Southwest with powerful wind gusts, snow and rain on Monday, knocking over big rigs on a stretch of California highway, toppling trees in Las Vegas and causing dust storm warnings in some areas.
It was a gusty prelude to a storm that was forecast to drop more than a foot of snow in mountainous areas of Utah. A foot had fallen in the upper elevations of the Sierra Nevada, and a 103 mph gust blew across the mountains near Lake Tahoe.
The National Weather Service said rain and snow will linger into Wednesday.
The California Highway Patrol said two drivers suffered minor to moderate injuries in truck accidents on a Northern California highway.
Heavy wind whipped through Nevada, where planes at McCarran International Airport in Las Vegas changed their takeoff patterns. The airport said no flights were delayed because of the weather. Clark County officials issued a dust advisory that remained in effect through Monday evening.
In Utah, the town of Cedar City was blasted by winds that toppled trees and shorted power lines. There were scattered power outages in the state.
The Salt Lake Tribune reported that a man and his teenage son were found safe after two-foot waves capsized their canoe on a reservoir. Both were wearing life jackets.
KGO-TV reports wind also knocked the facade off a Forever 21 store in the San Francisco Bay Area city of Emeryville. No one was hurt, but two vehicles were damaged.
Authorities in northern Arizona postponed prescribed burns because of the high wind.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- New York City hunkers down as Nor’easter threatens blizzard conditions
- Northeast waits for foot (or 2) of snow to drop
- Dems stall Keystone XL legislation
- Operator of drone that crashed on White House grounds identifies self to Secret Service
- National debt due to sharply escalate
- 3 Russians charged with spying spoke in code, passed concealed message, sought recruits, federal prosecutor alleges
- Ex-CIA officer convicted of leaking info about covert Iran mission
- American drone hit kills al-Qaida terror suspects in Yemen
- Small drone crashes at White House complex, origin unclear
- Boy, 13, arrested in fatal stabbing at David Wark Griffith Middle School in East Los Angeles
- Ramping up e-cigarette voltage may be more hazardous to health