Sexual orientation bias bill nears vote
WASHINGTON — Senate Democrats are unified in backing a bill that would prohibit employers from discriminating against workers on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity, a significant boost for the measure before a crucial Senate vote.
Sen. Joe Manchin, the last Democratic holdout, is now supporting the legislation, a spokesman said on Wednesday. The West Virginia lawmaker joins Democratic Sens. Mark Pryor of Arkansas and Bill Nelson of Florida, who said this week they back the legislation that is critical to gay rights advocates.
Federal law prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex, race and national origin, but it doesn't stop an employer from firing or refusing to hire a worker solely because they are gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender.
The bill would bar employers with 15 or more workers from using a person's sexual orientation or gender identity as the basis for making employment decisions, including hiring, firing, compensation or promotion.
With a vote possible as early as next week, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., needs 60 votes to overcome a likely GOP-led filibuster. Reid has the support of all 52 Democrats, two independents and is expected to get the vote of Democrat Cory Booker, who will be sworn in as New Jersey senator on Thursday.
Four Republican senators also support the measure — Mark Kirk of Illinois, Susan Collins of Maine, Orrin Hatch of Utah and Lisa Murkowski of Alaska — putting Reid within one vote of 60.
Twenty-two states and the District of Columbia have approved laws banning workplace discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, and 17 of those also prohibit employers from discriminating based on gender identity.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Computer hackers’ attack on Sony ‘merits an appropriate response,’ White House says
- Feds design college ratings system
- Federal regulators pen rules for Cuba trade, tourism
- West Virginia man dies after being shot with arrow in Wellsburg
- Sen. McConnell wants to stop coal rules
- Car plows into crowd in California, killing 3
- Meningitis suspects to be freed from jail while awaiting trial in 64 deaths
- Bondage ‘Master Bob’ Bashara convicted in wife’s slaying in Detroit area
- Death penalty sought for white supremacist in Mo. killings
- Los Angeles apartment complex fire deliberately set, ATF investigators find
- Obama, now unbridled, quickly checking off to-do list