Family visits site of Rutgers student's suicide
By The Associated Press
Published: Sunday, Nov. 10, 2013, 8:57 p.m.
FORT LEE, N.J. — The family of a Rutgers University student whose suicide sparked a national conversation about the treatment of young gay people paid a first visit on Sunday to the bridge where he took his life.
Members of Tyler Clementi's family crossed the George Washington Bridge to New York City to help raise awareness about the dangers of bullying.
Clementi's mother, Jane, and brother, James, linked arms and walked with Ronnie Kroell and Elliot Dal Pra London, co-founders of The Friend Movement, who had walked from Chicago to New Jersey in Tyler's memory as part of a bullying awareness campaign. More than 50 others joined them.
The 18-year-old Rutgers freshman jumped to his death in 2010 upon finding out his roommate had used a webcam to spy on him kissing a man in their dorm room.
Clementi's roommate, Dharun Ravi, spent 20 days in jail after being convicted of bias intimidation, invasion of privacy and witness tampering. He is appealing.
Clementi's mother told The Star-Ledger of Newark that Sunday's visit to the scene of her son's death was a painful one.
“Obviously, it's a symbol of great sadness for me and my family, but it is also a symbol that we can have hope,” Jane Clementi said. “Just looking around and seeing all the support we have, that's what everyone has. Everyone has that support. We have to just look to that and reach out to that.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- 150-plus birds seized at fighting venue in W.Va.
- Study says regular pot use affects the brain
- Immigration activists threaten Obama, Democrats
- Bankrupt Detroit, retired cops, fire crews agree to deal that saves pensions
- Authorities say they have trove of evidence against Dzhokhar Tsarnaev in Boston Marathon bombing
- At least 5 women linked to sexual torture case in St. Louis
- Subsitute for Pap smear scorned; overtreatment cited
- Mass. can’t ban painkiller, judge rules
- Rural Texas town where fertilizer plant exploded to consider fostering new facility
- Investment analyst to get Medal of Honor
- Android systems running 4.1.1 softward carry Heartbleed bug