Missouri man freed; no retrial in murder case
COLUMBIA, Mo. — A Missouri man whose conviction in the killing of a newspaper sports editor was overturned was freed from custody on Tuesday because the state attorney general said he would not hold a new trial.
Ryan Ferguson was released from a state prison in Jefferson City and taken to the Boone County Jail in Columbia, which freed him shortly before 6 p.m. local time. He had been imprisoned since 2005.
Ferguson, 29, waved to a crowd of cheering supporters from the back seat of his father's car on the way to a news conference.
A Missouri appeals court last week overturned Ferguson's conviction and 40-year prison sentence in the 2001 strangling and beating death of Columbia Daily Tribune sports editor Kent Heitholt. Ferguson was 17 at the time of the killing, in which a high school classmate implicated him.
The appeals panel said the prosecutor's office had withheld evidence from defense attorneys, and Ferguson did not receive a fair trial.
Missouri Attorney General Chris Koster's office said in a written statement that it had carefully reviewed the remaining evidence and decided not to retry or pursue further legal action against Ferguson at this time. Koster's office filed a court document indicating it had no objection to Ferguson's immediate release.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Police: 7 fatally shot, gunman dead in southeastern Missouri
- FCC plays net traffic cop
- Foreign government gifts to family charity present candidacy hurdle for Hillary Clinton
- Devoted California couple dies within 5 hours of each other
- White House won’t snub pro-Israel lobby
- Impasse over funding for Department of Homeland Security likely will go to wire
- Regulators approve tougher rules for Internet providers
- Heavy snow cuts power, snarls travel across South
- Hackers won’t take break if DHS shuts down, officials warn
- Vote puts federal prosecutor Lynch closer to Attorney General’s Office
- Russian threat via cyber on the rise, says U.S. intelligence assessment