Zimmerman charged with assaulting girlfriend
APOPKA, Fla. — George Zimmerman was charged with assault on Monday when his girlfriend called deputies to the home where they were living and claimed he pointed a shotgun at her during an argument, authorities said.
The girlfriend, Samantha Scheibe, called 911 in the early afternoon to say that Zimmerman had smashed a glass table, threatened her with the shotgun and ultimately pushed her out of the house, according to an arrest report.
Zimmerman told a 911 operator that he never pulled a gun on his girlfriend, and that it was she who smashed the table at the home they shared outside Orlando.
Deputies used a key provided by Scheibe to unlock the door, and they were able to push through the barricade of items, Chief Deputy Dennis Lemma said at a news conference hours after the arrest.
“She was very concerned for her own safety, especially having the weapon pointed at her and then being pushed out,” Lemma said.
Lemma says Zimmerman was compliant and unarmed when deputies arrived to the house.
Zimmerman was charged with domestic aggravated assault with a weapon, domestic battery and criminal mischief. His first court appearance was scheduled for Tuesday afternoon. He will be housed in a single-person cell, and guards will check on him hourly, Lemma added.
Zimmerman, 30, was acquitted in July of all charges in the shooting of Trayvon Martin. The death of the black teenager, who was unarmed, touched off a nationwide debate about race and self-defense. Zimmerman, who identifies himself as Hispanic, has said he shot the 17-year-old to defend himself during a fight in February 2012 inside a gated community in Sanford, just outside Orlando.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Obama avoids calling terrorist attacks ‘Islamice_SSRq
- Mideast-North Africa category considered for 2020 Census
- Teen girl Hernandez killed by Denver police once cited for resisting arrest
- Alpha to idle two West Virginia coal mines
- Tickets let players bring home bacon — scent
- Day, night 4-digit drawings match
- Former GOP nominee Romney will not run for president in ’16
- Executive order directs standards to reflect climate change projections
- Judge orders nonprofit tax form release in case against IRS
- Overhaul of military benefit programs sought
- Dems delay Iran sanctions proposal