Carjacking leads to slaying at N.J. mall
SHORT HILLS, N.J. — An evening of shopping ended in horror for a New Jersey couple when the husband was shot to death in a mall parking garage as his wife looked on and the two assailants then drove off in their luxury SUV.
The vehicle stolen on Sunday, a silver Range Rover, was recovered on Monday morning in a residential neighborhood in Newark, about 10 miles away from the Mall at Short Hills. The two carjackers are at large, and a local anti-crime group is offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to their arrest and conviction.
Killed in the attack was 30-year-old Dustin Friedland, a lawyer from Hoboken who had worked recently at his family's HVAC company analyzing construction-related legal claims, according to his LinkedIn profile. Friedland's wife, Jamie Schare Friedland, is listed as an attorney specializing in landlord-tenant law at a firm in New York City. Both attended law school at Syracuse University, according to their online profiles.
A woman who answered the phone at Epic Mechanical in Neptune, N.J., declined to comment, and said Friedland's father, who also works there, was not in the office. No one answered at several phone numbers listed for other relatives.
Mall general manager Michael McAvinue said in an email: “We were shocked and saddened by the incident that took place last night at Short Hills. Our thoughts and prayers are with the families involved. Our shopping center is working closely with local law enforcement to support their efforts with this tragic incident.”
On Monday afternoon, the mall, home to such upscale stores as Neiman Marcus and Gucci, was doing a brisk business with the parking garage close to full. Shopper Scott Rockoff, of Basking Ridge, said he had just heard about the carjacking and it wouldn't affect his decision to come to the mall.
“It can happen anywhere,” Rockoff, 55, said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Judge orders nonprofit tax form release in case against IRS
- Obama avoids calling terrorist attacks ‘Islamice_SSRq
- Teen girl Hernandez killed by Denver police once cited for resisting arrest
- Executive order directs standards to reflect climate change projections
- Tickets let players bring home bacon — scent
- Mideast-North Africa category considered for 2020 Census
- Day, night 4-digit drawings match
- Taliban 5 linking with Haqqani, Graham says
- Patriots under investigation for cheating with deflated footballs in AFC Championship Game
- Educator in California pleads guilty to sexual abuse of children
- Marine Corps’ general outlines priorities, vision