Carjacking leads to slaying at N.J. mall
SHORT HILLS, N.J. — An evening of shopping ended in horror for a New Jersey couple when the husband was shot to death in a mall parking garage as his wife looked on and the two assailants then drove off in their luxury SUV.
The vehicle stolen on Sunday, a silver Range Rover, was recovered on Monday morning in a residential neighborhood in Newark, about 10 miles away from the Mall at Short Hills. The two carjackers are at large, and a local anti-crime group is offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to their arrest and conviction.
Killed in the attack was 30-year-old Dustin Friedland, a lawyer from Hoboken who had worked recently at his family's HVAC company analyzing construction-related legal claims, according to his LinkedIn profile. Friedland's wife, Jamie Schare Friedland, is listed as an attorney specializing in landlord-tenant law at a firm in New York City. Both attended law school at Syracuse University, according to their online profiles.
A woman who answered the phone at Epic Mechanical in Neptune, N.J., declined to comment, and said Friedland's father, who also works there, was not in the office. No one answered at several phone numbers listed for other relatives.
Mall general manager Michael McAvinue said in an email: “We were shocked and saddened by the incident that took place last night at Short Hills. Our thoughts and prayers are with the families involved. Our shopping center is working closely with local law enforcement to support their efforts with this tragic incident.”
On Monday afternoon, the mall, home to such upscale stores as Neiman Marcus and Gucci, was doing a brisk business with the parking garage close to full. Shopper Scott Rockoff, of Basking Ridge, said he had just heard about the carjacking and it wouldn't affect his decision to come to the mall.
“It can happen anywhere,” Rockoff, 55, said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Oregon college gunman’s victims walked varied paths
- Football game in St. Louis halted by gunshots
- 2 men arrested in 1984 rape, killing of girl, 14
- Survivor: Oregon college gunman spared 1 to give police a message
- W.Va. native killed as C-130 transport plane crashes in Afghanistan
- California vineyards skip irrigation amid drought
- Navy intelligence official indicted on charges of theft, conspiracy
- Closure of ID offices in Alabama riles Democrats
- Double whammy for dinosaurs: Death from above, below
- Spy chief Clapper reluctant to rely on China cyber deal
- Oregon shooter a lonely youth with grudge against religion