Mother says husband killed son out of 'sick' spite
The mother of a 3-year-old thrown to his death by his father from a 52-story Manhattan apartment building said her estranged husband acted out of spite in a “sick way.”
Reportedly upset by a messy divorce, Dmitriy Kanarikov, 35, of Brooklyn threw his son Kirill from the rooftop on Sunday, then jumped to his own death.
In a statement released Monday night, the mother, Svetlana Kanarikov, said the family was ripped apart after an incident of domestic abuse. Even though her husband had never done anything violent against their son, she said she was worried.
“He said he would take the child away,” Kanarikov said. “This was his sick way to take Kirill away from me.”
The couple had been married four years and separated in August.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Survivor: Oregon college gunman spared 1 to give police a message
- Oregon college gunman’s victims walked varied paths
- Obama won’t sign Congress’ stopgap budget bill
- Double whammy for dinosaurs: Death from above, below
- Football game in St. Louis halted by gunshots
- Another round of divisive cases awaits Supreme Court
- California vineyards skip irrigation amid drought
- W.Va. native killed as C-130 transport plane crashes in Afghanistan
- Navy intelligence official indicted on charges of theft, conspiracy
- Apartment blast kills 1 in Brooklyn
- Ohio’s interpretation of Common Core test results threatens national comparison goals