Mother says husband killed son out of 'sick' spite
The mother of a 3-year-old thrown to his death by his father from a 52-story Manhattan apartment building said her estranged husband acted out of spite in a “sick way.”
Reportedly upset by a messy divorce, Dmitriy Kanarikov, 35, of Brooklyn threw his son Kirill from the rooftop on Sunday, then jumped to his own death.
In a statement released Monday night, the mother, Svetlana Kanarikov, said the family was ripped apart after an incident of domestic abuse. Even though her husband had never done anything violent against their son, she said she was worried.
“He said he would take the child away,” Kanarikov said. “This was his sick way to take Kirill away from me.”
The couple had been married four years and separated in August.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- More states pick up tab for ACT exams
- Poll: Common Core educational standards loses support
- Scathing report says college trustees fail in mission
- Immigration judge drops case against Ore. woman who drove into leaf pile, killing 2 girls
- ISIS beheads American photojournalist who was kidnapped 2 years ago in Syria
- Latest Ferguson protests are smaller, more subdued
- Grand jury to hear evidence in Missouri shooting
- Landowners blamed for Del. bridge damage; fines could total millions
- Ferguson pledges outreach
- Irwin native among military personnel kept waiting for return of personal vehicle
- Agency makes high-tech push to improve military vehicles