Mother says husband killed son out of 'sick' spite
By The Los Angeles Times
Published: Tuesday, Dec. 24, 2013, 2:39 p.m.
The mother of a 3-year-old thrown to his death by his father from a 52-story Manhattan apartment building said her estranged husband acted out of spite in a “sick way.”
Reportedly upset by a messy divorce, Dmitriy Kanarikov, 35, of Brooklyn threw his son Kirill from the rooftop on Sunday, then jumped to his own death.
In a statement released Monday night, the mother, Svetlana Kanarikov, said the family was ripped apart after an incident of domestic abuse. Even though her husband had never done anything violent against their son, she said she was worried.
“He said he would take the child away,” Kanarikov said. “This was his sick way to take Kirill away from me.”
The couple had been married four years and separated in August.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- AC/DC not disbanding, lead singer Brian Johnson says
- Obama, House Republicans trade accusations in thwarting immigration reform
- Denver wife killed 12 minutes into 911 call, sparking inquiry
- Tea Party flap averted fraud probe by IRS, Justice, emails show
- Immigration activists threaten Obama, Democrats
- 1986 Warhol self-portraits up for sale
- US Airways’ pornographic tweet won’t cost anyone a job
- Hoax bomb case causes concerns in Boston
- Federal judge strikes down North Dakota abortion ban
- Vermont Senate OKs GMO labels as industry insists genetically modified crops are safe
- Court upholds EPA emissions restrictions