Mother says husband killed son out of 'sick' spite
The mother of a 3-year-old thrown to his death by his father from a 52-story Manhattan apartment building said her estranged husband acted out of spite in a “sick way.”
Reportedly upset by a messy divorce, Dmitriy Kanarikov, 35, of Brooklyn threw his son Kirill from the rooftop on Sunday, then jumped to his own death.
In a statement released Monday night, the mother, Svetlana Kanarikov, said the family was ripped apart after an incident of domestic abuse. Even though her husband had never done anything violent against their son, she said she was worried.
“He said he would take the child away,” Kanarikov said. “This was his sick way to take Kirill away from me.”
The couple had been married four years and separated in August.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Anti-Clinton crowd looks left to Sanders
- Obama’s planned trip to Ethiopia riles some emigres
- Pentagon leery of Russia’s ‘hybrid warfare’
- Some Texans fear military training mission has ulterior motives at Obama’s direction
- After year of Washington legal pot sales, taxes top $70M
- Volunteers key in marine rescues
- After years in obscurity, Medal of Honor recipient to be reburied with military honors
- Arizona prison says 700 inmates again ‘refusing to comply’
- Washington’s wildfire season gets off to an early, unprecedented start
- Santorum charter flight tab broke $400K
- 66 riders safely evacuated as 400-foot Ferris wheel stops in Florida