Mother says husband killed son out of 'sick' spite
The mother of a 3-year-old thrown to his death by his father from a 52-story Manhattan apartment building said her estranged husband acted out of spite in a “sick way.”
Reportedly upset by a messy divorce, Dmitriy Kanarikov, 35, of Brooklyn threw his son Kirill from the rooftop on Sunday, then jumped to his own death.
In a statement released Monday night, the mother, Svetlana Kanarikov, said the family was ripped apart after an incident of domestic abuse. Even though her husband had never done anything violent against their son, she said she was worried.
“He said he would take the child away,” Kanarikov said. “This was his sick way to take Kirill away from me.”
The couple had been married four years and separated in August.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- U.S. to arm Iraq’s Sunni tribesmen
- Former nuke commander linked to fake poker chips
- D.C. charges woman over armed protest
- U.S. releases ‘forever prisoner’ from Gitmo
- Ferguson, Mo., grand jury to meet Monday, decide on possible indictment of police officer
- Locavore movement takes to deer hunting across country
- Plan in works to speed up schools’ Internet service
- 3-mile buffer suggested for grouse breeding, oil and gas drilling
- Man sets house fire, kills deputy
- New nuke carrier will arrive late, incomplete
- Bighorn sheep escapes Los Angeles Zoo