Mother says husband killed son out of 'sick' spite
The mother of a 3-year-old thrown to his death by his father from a 52-story Manhattan apartment building said her estranged husband acted out of spite in a “sick way.”
Reportedly upset by a messy divorce, Dmitriy Kanarikov, 35, of Brooklyn threw his son Kirill from the rooftop on Sunday, then jumped to his own death.
In a statement released Monday night, the mother, Svetlana Kanarikov, said the family was ripped apart after an incident of domestic abuse. Even though her husband had never done anything violent against their son, she said she was worried.
“He said he would take the child away,” Kanarikov said. “This was his sick way to take Kirill away from me.”
The couple had been married four years and separated in August.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Medicare payments to tie doctor, hospital payments to quality rather than volume of care
- VA plans major structure changes; Pittsburgh’s fate as regional HQ remains unclear
- New York City hunkers down as Nor’easter threatens blizzard conditions
- Dems stall Keystone XL legislation
- American drone hit kills al-Qaida terror suspects in Yemen
- Operator of drone that crashed on White House grounds identifies self to Secret Service
- National debt due to sharply escalate
- Ex-CIA officer convicted of leaking info about covert Iran mission
- 3 Russians charged with spying spoke in code, passed concealed message, sought recruits, federal prosecutor alleges
- Northeast waits for foot (or 2) of snow to drop
- Small drone crashes at White House complex, origin unclear