Mother says husband killed son out of 'sick' spite
The mother of a 3-year-old thrown to his death by his father from a 52-story Manhattan apartment building said her estranged husband acted out of spite in a “sick way.”
Reportedly upset by a messy divorce, Dmitriy Kanarikov, 35, of Brooklyn threw his son Kirill from the rooftop on Sunday, then jumped to his own death.
In a statement released Monday night, the mother, Svetlana Kanarikov, said the family was ripped apart after an incident of domestic abuse. Even though her husband had never done anything violent against their son, she said she was worried.
“He said he would take the child away,” Kanarikov said. “This was his sick way to take Kirill away from me.”
The couple had been married four years and separated in August.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Man caught jumping White House fence
- 8 arrested in post-game riots in Morgantown
- Coast Guard to seek billions to protect Arctic interests
- Ferguson slaying of Brown reconstructed in county autopsy
- 4 private security guards convicted
- Coburn’s final ‘Wastebook’ tallies $25B in what he considers ‘pork’
- Security at Capitol questioned
- Social Security recipients to get increase in benefits
- Personal use of Secret Service agents on staffer’s behalf draws investigaton
- Academic scandal at University of North Carolina bigger than previously reported
- If nurses in safety gear got Ebola ...