Mother says husband killed son out of 'sick' spite
The mother of a 3-year-old thrown to his death by his father from a 52-story Manhattan apartment building said her estranged husband acted out of spite in a “sick way.”
Reportedly upset by a messy divorce, Dmitriy Kanarikov, 35, of Brooklyn threw his son Kirill from the rooftop on Sunday, then jumped to his own death.
In a statement released Monday night, the mother, Svetlana Kanarikov, said the family was ripped apart after an incident of domestic abuse. Even though her husband had never done anything violent against their son, she said she was worried.
“He said he would take the child away,” Kanarikov said. “This was his sick way to take Kirill away from me.”
The couple had been married four years and separated in August.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Despite high gas costs, Northeast resistant to pipelines
- 2 bodies found at site of gas explosion in NYC apartments
- Doctors push end-of-life care talks
- Boston police officer improving after surgery to remove bullet near ear
- Drownings in Rio Grande spike as enforcement surges
- Pence: ‘Not going to change’ religious freedom law
- Before leak, NSA mulled ending phone program
- Mining for tourists? A dubious economic savior in Appalachia
- Homeland Security official improperly helped foreign investors in visa cases, inspector general says
- Global warming is slowing down the circulation of the oceans — with potentially dire consequences
- GOP budget proposal guts federal spending, health care