Mother says husband killed son out of 'sick' spite
The mother of a 3-year-old thrown to his death by his father from a 52-story Manhattan apartment building said her estranged husband acted out of spite in a “sick way.”
Reportedly upset by a messy divorce, Dmitriy Kanarikov, 35, of Brooklyn threw his son Kirill from the rooftop on Sunday, then jumped to his own death.
In a statement released Monday night, the mother, Svetlana Kanarikov, said the family was ripped apart after an incident of domestic abuse. Even though her husband had never done anything violent against their son, she said she was worried.
“He said he would take the child away,” Kanarikov said. “This was his sick way to take Kirill away from me.”
The couple had been married four years and separated in August.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Cincy officer indicted on murder charge in fatal shooting of motorist
- Feds accuse Philadelphia congressman Fattah of corruption
- Clinton to testify before House committee on Benghazi in October
- Mich. high court strikes down mandatory fees for state employees in unions
- Calif. oil slick expected to dissipate
- University of New Hampshire language guide panned
- House approves bill targeting VA staffers
- Planned Parenthood requests expert study
- In dispute over coal mine project, two ways of life hang in the balance
- Family finds $1M gold treasure in Florida
- Compromise keeps highway accounts funded