Mother says husband killed son out of 'sick' spite
The mother of a 3-year-old thrown to his death by his father from a 52-story Manhattan apartment building said her estranged husband acted out of spite in a “sick way.”
Reportedly upset by a messy divorce, Dmitriy Kanarikov, 35, of Brooklyn threw his son Kirill from the rooftop on Sunday, then jumped to his own death.
In a statement released Monday night, the mother, Svetlana Kanarikov, said the family was ripped apart after an incident of domestic abuse. Even though her husband had never done anything violent against their son, she said she was worried.
“He said he would take the child away,” Kanarikov said. “This was his sick way to take Kirill away from me.”
The couple had been married four years and separated in August.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Texas GOP lawmaker calls for end to 40-year crude oil export ban
- New heart failure drug works much better than current treatment, study finds
- Ferguson police begin wearing body cameras
- High court to weigh pregnancy work rights
- U.S. to get base in Niger to aid Islamist hunt
- Perry distances himself from unflattering image tweeted of DA
- Anti-abortion law in effect in Louisiana, with a caveat
- FBI investigates celebrities’ nude photo claims
- Surveillance video in Wal-Mart police killing sought
- President’s Labor Day appearance heavy on politicking
- Female sergeant barricades self in Fort Lee building, commits suicide