Former first lady Barbara Bush out of hospital in Houston
After five days of receiving treatment for pneumonia, Barbara Bush, the wife of one president and the mother of another, was released from Houston Methodist Hospital on Saturday morning.
“I cannot thank the doctors and nurses at Houston Methodist enough for making sure I got the best treatment and got back to George and our dogs as quickly as possible,” Bush, 88, said in a statement.
Barbara Bush, the wife of the 41st president, George H.W. Bush, 89, was admitted to the hospital on New Year's Eve for a “respiratory-related issue,” family spokesman Jim McGrath said on Tuesday.
While getting treatment, she received many visits from her husband. To celebrate New Year's Eve, McGrath said, the two watched the Texas A&M football team play Duke in the Chik-fil-A Bowl.
President Obama sent the former first lady a message from the White House, wishing her a “speedy recovery” and sending “thoughts and prayers” her way.
Barbara Bush had received treatment from the hospital before. In 2008, she underwent surgery to close a hole in her small intestine caused by an ulcer and later to replace her aortic valve.
Also, while serving as first lady in 1989, she suffered from Graves' disease, an autoimmune disorder that affects the thyroid. She took medications for the disease and received radiation as part of her treatment.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Clintons hauled in $139M in past 8 years
- Baltimore slayings climb to level unseen in decades
- Dusty Atlantic Ocean thwarts tropical storms
- Planned Parenthood recordings release halted by judge
- Amid 4-year drought, fears rise of trees dying, falling in California
- Suspect in South Carolina church shooting wants to plead guilty to hate crimes, attorney says
- Fires’ fury unabated in California
- Analysts expect French laboratory will be able to provide details from examination of jet part
- Feds accuse Philadelphia congressman Fattah of corruption
- Despite U.S. dollars and bombs, effort failing to squash ISIS
- Cruz chided over remarks in prelude to Ex-Im Bank vote