1 dead, 1 injured in NYC high-rise fire
By The Associated Press
Published: Sunday, Jan. 5, 2014, 9:12 p.m.
NEW YORK — Authorities said one person has died and another has been injured in a three-alarm high-rise apartment fire in midtown Manhattan.
Firefighter spokesman Danny Glover said the fire was reported shortly after 11 a.m. Sunday in an apartment on the 20th floor of a building at 43rd Street and 10th Avenue. He says about 40 units responded to the fire and brought it under control shortly before 1 p.m.
Glover says smoke spread to several apartments around the affected apartment. He says it was not immediately clear what caused the fire.
Police say one of the victims, 27-year-old Daniel McClung, was taken to a hospital where he was pronounced dead. Police say the other victim, a 32-year-old male, was hospitalized in stable condition.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Hearing to determine fate of sergeant accused of killing 2 deaf Iraqi boys
- Precautions lack year since fatal blast at plant
- Details about USS Cole suspect’s stint in CIA custody must be turned over
- Senator pitches gasoline tax increase
- IRS awards millions in bonuses to its people who don’t pay taxes
- Gun background checks miss fugitives
- Foundation gives $13M to promote Obamacare
- Little toxicity data exists for tainted W.Va. water
- Justices uphold Michigan ban on affirmative action, giving states room to maneuver
- Justices critical of Ohio law punishing campaign lies
- Mo. mayor steps down over anti-Semitic comments