HBO 'Boardwalk Empire' to end
LOS ANGELES — Prohibition-era television drama “Boardwalk Empire” will conclude after its fifth season, which is slated to air later this year, HBO said on Thursday.
“Boardwalk Empire,” a mob crime drama, stars Steve Buscemi as crooked Atlantic City treasurer Enoch “Nucky” Thompson, based on Enoch L. Johnson, a corrupt and powerful political boss of the 1920s Prohibition era.
The fifth season is scheduled to premiere in the fall.
The drama was created by “The Sopranos” writer and executive producer Terence Winter. Oscar-winning filmmaker Martin Scorsese won an Emmy for his direction of the series' big-budget pilot that premiered in September 2010.
The series has won 17 Emmy awards since its debut, including Bobby Cannavale as best supporting actor in a drama series for his role as gangster Gyp Rosetti.
Meanwhile, “Game of Thrones” is set to return April 6, Sundays at 9 HBO announced. Its companions: “Veep,” starring Emmy winner Julia Louis-Dreyfus, returning for a third season at 10, and “Silicon Valley,” a new series from Mike Judge (“Office Space,” “King of the Hill”), about a group of young tech-industry entrepreneurs.
The season's first “Game” trailer will be shown on Sunday before the premiere of “True Detective,” a crime-thriller miniseries starring Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- ‘Organic’ tag on water-raised produce raises ire
- Presley’s planes will remain at Graceland
- Study a surprise: Commercial bees unfazed by pesticides
- Supreme Court leans toward legalizing gay marriage nationally
- Internal NBC News inquiry finds 11 fibs by anchorman Williams
- Federal highway fund shortage batters states
- At New York City rally, United States urged to acknowledge slaughter of Armenians as genocide
- Corinthian Colleges to shut down more than two dozen remaining schools
- McCain renews push to have military, not CIA, manage drone strikes
- High morale linked to longer survival among elderly
- Mourners attend Baltimore man’s wake