Colorado pastor accused of luring man to motel, robbing him
DENVER — A pastor at a ministry for homeless people has been accused of luring a man to a Denver motel by offering sex and then claiming to be a U.S. marshal while handcuffing and robbing the victim, authorities said Wednesday.
Michael Todd Abromovich, 43, stole a computer, iPad and phone from the victim before releasing him, according to an arrest warrant affidavit.
Abromovich was arrested last week in Phoenix on a warrant listing charges of kidnapping, theft and impersonating a peace officer. He was extradited to Denver and was being held in lieu of $75,000 bond.
He has not entered a plea, and court records don't indicate whether he has a lawyer.
Set Free God's House, a Colorado Springs ministry for the homeless and people suffering from addiction, said Abromovich served as a pastor there for more than a year, preaching, teaching Bible class and raising money.
His fundraising allowed the ministry to keep operating, said Charliene Simmons, senior pastor at the ministry.
“Because of him, we were able to keep our doors open and help more homeless people to get off the street,” she said.
Simmons said she believes Abromovich had training in theology.
Abromovich had been arrested on a separate theft charge on Dec. 9 in El Paso County, which includes Colorado Springs. Online court records did not include details, and a sheriff's spokesman didn't immediately return a call.
KCNC-TV in Denver first reported Abromovich's arrest on the kidnapping and impersonation charges.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- New York farmers lament lost opportunity for natural gas riches with fracking ban
- Coal mines near record low in worker deaths
- Police: NYC cop killer invited people to watch shooting
- Georgia prosecutor Yates tapped for No. 2 post in Justice Department
- NYPD: Cop ambush killer told passers-by to watch
- Gray wolf decision reversed
- Poor morale, training in Air Force ICBM program spur questions about usefulness as nuclear deterrent
- IBM’s Watson supercomputing system to be applied to PTSD
- Veteran NBC newsman Brokaw says his cancer is in remission
- Nativity scene placed by Satanic display at Michigan Capitol
- Navy developing robotic fish drone