Border Patrol agent who shot dead illegal said he feared dying
SAN DIEGO — A man who was shot and killed by a Border Patrol agent threw large rocks at the agent, including one about the size of a basketball, investigators said on Wednesday.
The man, who was suspected of being in the country illegally, began throwing fist-sized rocks at the agent from a hillside perch, the San Diego County Sheriff's Department said. The rocks became larger, and one of the bigger pieces hit the agent in the head.
The sheriff's department said the agent fired his gun at least twice Tuesday, fearing he might be killed or incapacitated if he was hit again in the head. The agent tried to revive the man, who died at the scene. The man's identity is unknown.
The agent, who was not named, was treated at a hospital for minor injuries and released.
The episode in a remote, mountainous area about 4 miles east of San Diego's Otay Mesa border crossing took place amid debate about whether the Border Patrol should respond to rock attacks with lethal force.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Inside job suspected in robbery of gold bars from truck
- NYC public schools to close on 2 major Muslim holidays
- Ferguson’s white officer justified in shooting black man, feds find
- McConnell wants EPA rule rejected
- Senate fails to override Obama veto of Keystone pipeline bill
- Alabama Supreme Court defies federal judge’s ruling
- Md. man accused in 5 random shootings
- Congress investigates Hillary Clintons use of private email
- Defense strategy for Boston Marathon bombing defendant Tsarnaev is to avoid death penalty
- Winter storm swirls from Texas to New England
- U.S. clears police officer in Ferguson case, criticizes police force