Border Patrol agent who shot dead illegal said he feared dying
SAN DIEGO — A man who was shot and killed by a Border Patrol agent threw large rocks at the agent, including one about the size of a basketball, investigators said on Wednesday.
The man, who was suspected of being in the country illegally, began throwing fist-sized rocks at the agent from a hillside perch, the San Diego County Sheriff's Department said. The rocks became larger, and one of the bigger pieces hit the agent in the head.
The sheriff's department said the agent fired his gun at least twice Tuesday, fearing he might be killed or incapacitated if he was hit again in the head. The agent tried to revive the man, who died at the scene. The man's identity is unknown.
The agent, who was not named, was treated at a hospital for minor injuries and released.
The episode in a remote, mountainous area about 4 miles east of San Diego's Otay Mesa border crossing took place amid debate about whether the Border Patrol should respond to rock attacks with lethal force.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Georgia prosecutor Yates tapped for No. 2 post in Justice Department
- New York farmers lament lost opportunity for natural gas riches with fracking ban
- Police: NYC cop killer invited people to watch shooting
- Coal mines near record low in worker deaths
- Nativity scene placed by Satanic display at Michigan Capitol
- Ghostly snailfish found at record depth
- IBM’s Watson supercomputing system to be applied to PTSD
- California downpours arrive with lightning
- U.S., Cuba patching torn relations with historic accord
- West Virginia man dies after being shot with arrow in Wellsburg
- Smoking, drinking falls off among teens, but not drug use