Border Patrol agent who shot dead illegal said he feared dying
SAN DIEGO — A man who was shot and killed by a Border Patrol agent threw large rocks at the agent, including one about the size of a basketball, investigators said on Wednesday.
The man, who was suspected of being in the country illegally, began throwing fist-sized rocks at the agent from a hillside perch, the San Diego County Sheriff's Department said. The rocks became larger, and one of the bigger pieces hit the agent in the head.
The sheriff's department said the agent fired his gun at least twice Tuesday, fearing he might be killed or incapacitated if he was hit again in the head. The agent tried to revive the man, who died at the scene. The man's identity is unknown.
The agent, who was not named, was treated at a hospital for minor injuries and released.
The episode in a remote, mountainous area about 4 miles east of San Diego's Otay Mesa border crossing took place amid debate about whether the Border Patrol should respond to rock attacks with lethal force.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- White House ricochets in nonprofits’ birth control coverage fray
- NASA expected to hire private rocket
- Charities reconsider fundraising activities
- Scientists hope tiny robotic bee’s big dreams take flight
- Mudslides plague Washington state after wildfire strips hillsides
- GPS stations show drought-stricken California — not pushed downward by 63 trillion gallons of water — is rising
- Ferguson residents fear return of rioting, looting
- Obama pressured to obliterate ISIS as attack risks rise
- Rehabilitated snowy owl dies in Minnesota
- Reid apologizes for jokes at Asian business event
- Kentucky firefighters recovering from ice stunt shocks