Soros PAC targets Wis. Gov. Walker
MILWAUKEE — Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker has a new opponent this year, a super PAC heavily funded by liberal billionaire George Soros.
In anticipation of Walker's re-election campaign this fall and possible presidential bid in 2016, American Bridge 21st Century is hard at work in Wisconsin.
The group revealed on Wednesday a new website called JohnDoeWalker.com, devoted to exposing information about Walker. The site was started on the same day emails were released from a secret John Doe investigation into links between Walker's staff and his political campaign.
American Bridge received $1 million from the Soros Fund Management firm during the 2012 election cycle and funding from individual donors and labor unions. Organizers say they have committed about two dozen of their Washington-based staff to poring over the 27,000 pages of emails.
Thousands of documents unsealed on Wednesday link Walker to a secret email system used in his office that would avoid public scrutiny when he was Milwaukee County executive.
The Republican governor said before the records were released that he was confident there would not be anything damaging in them beyond what had led to criminal charges against several former aides and appointees.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- AG misled Congress on spying dispute, Bush-era report says
- Experts met in Nepal week ago to discuss earthquake they knew would rip into Kathmandu
- Footage of protesters walking on flag sparks strife at Georgia university
- Magma chamber spied under Yellowstone volcano
- House demands details of Taliban detainees swap for Bergdahl
- Study a surprise: Commercial bees unfazed by pesticides
- $10B private-physician program serves few vets
- Florida fraternity members spit on disabled veterans at retreat
- Oregon mulls law limiting antibiotic use on livestock
- Reagan shooter Hinckley closer to permanent freedom
- American, Italian hostages killed in U.S. drone strike