Soros PAC targets Wis. Gov. Walker
MILWAUKEE — Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker has a new opponent this year, a super PAC heavily funded by liberal billionaire George Soros.
In anticipation of Walker's re-election campaign this fall and possible presidential bid in 2016, American Bridge 21st Century is hard at work in Wisconsin.
The group revealed on Wednesday a new website called JohnDoeWalker.com, devoted to exposing information about Walker. The site was started on the same day emails were released from a secret John Doe investigation into links between Walker's staff and his political campaign.
American Bridge received $1 million from the Soros Fund Management firm during the 2012 election cycle and funding from individual donors and labor unions. Organizers say they have committed about two dozen of their Washington-based staff to poring over the 27,000 pages of emails.
Thousands of documents unsealed on Wednesday link Walker to a secret email system used in his office that would avoid public scrutiny when he was Milwaukee County executive.
The Republican governor said before the records were released that he was confident there would not be anything damaging in them beyond what had led to criminal charges against several former aides and appointees.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penn State University eyes changes to sexual misconduct case handling
- San Francisco blaze kills Mission District resident
- McCain to protesters: ‘Get out of here, you low-life scum’
- Homeland chief says cuts over immigration puts U.S. at risk
- Police in South Carolina: Family killed man in custody fight
- Darmouth, in effort to quell ‘extreme behaviors,’ bans liquor on campus
- Former Idaho National Guard soldier’s benefits claims yield indictment
- NASA pauses to honor its fallen
- Drone owner still unnamed, works for intelligence agency
- Pluto ready for NASA close-up
- Pittsburgh travelers feel effects of Northeast blizzard