Soros PAC targets Wis. Gov. Walker
MILWAUKEE — Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker has a new opponent this year, a super PAC heavily funded by liberal billionaire George Soros.
In anticipation of Walker's re-election campaign this fall and possible presidential bid in 2016, American Bridge 21st Century is hard at work in Wisconsin.
The group revealed on Wednesday a new website called JohnDoeWalker.com, devoted to exposing information about Walker. The site was started on the same day emails were released from a secret John Doe investigation into links between Walker's staff and his political campaign.
American Bridge received $1 million from the Soros Fund Management firm during the 2012 election cycle and funding from individual donors and labor unions. Organizers say they have committed about two dozen of their Washington-based staff to poring over the 27,000 pages of emails.
Thousands of documents unsealed on Wednesday link Walker to a secret email system used in his office that would avoid public scrutiny when he was Milwaukee County executive.
The Republican governor said before the records were released that he was confident there would not be anything damaging in them beyond what had led to criminal charges against several former aides and appointees.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- ER knew ill man visiting from Africa, sent him home
- DeLay conviction killed by top court
- Hagel orders steps to fix military health care
- News Alert
- Records show Kissinger pursued strategy to attack Cuba
- Detroit’s emergency manager questioned about bankruptcy plan
- Obama administration blasts Israeli housing project
- White man convicted of murder of black teenager in Jacksonville
- MIT: Global Energy Use, CO2 May Double By 2100
- Secret Service chief resigns after security lapses
- White woman sues sperm bank for giving her donation from black man