Rescue of 5-month-old stops traffic in Florida
MIAMI — It was a sight that jarred motorists on a busy Miami expressway.
Traffic suddenly came to a standstill about 2:30 p.m. on Thursday and a woman sprang from her car, holding a baby, screaming for help.
Pamela Rauseo, 37, of West Kendall, Fla., was frantic: Her 5-month-old nephew, Sebastian de la Cruz, was turning blue.
Lucila Godoy, 34, of Miami left her 3-year-old in her car to help Rauseo perform CPR on the unconscious infant, born prematurely with respiratory issues.
Miami Herald photographer Al Diaz, was stopped right behind Rauseo.
He heard Rauseo “screaming that the baby can't breathe.”
Diaz quickly jogged through traffic lanes to summon more help and found Sweetwater police Officer Amauris Bastidas, who ran to the scene and took over CPR for Godoy, performing chest pumps while Rauseo breathed into the baby's mouth.
“I lifted him up in the air and moved him up and down,” Bastidas said. “He started breathing and crying. Then he started not breathing again.”
Anthony Trim and Alvaro Tonanez, Miami-Dade firefighters, were also stuck in the traffic and jumped out of their separate cars. They found Sebastian breathing, but barely.
An ambulance arrived moments later and rushed the baby to a hospital, where he remains in stable condition.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Postal Service falls short of slower mail delivery standards
- CDC lauds schools for better nutrition
- University of Texas removes statue of Confederate President Davis
- Pope Francis’ lack of familiarity with United States unusual
- Motive in ambush of Houston area deputy remains unknown
- Federal Reserve Vice Chairman Fischer open to interest rate hike
- Obama inches closer to veto-proof support for Iran nuclear deal
- Obama administration developing sanctions against China over cyberespionage
- Gas boom brings successes, struggles to W.Va. communities
- Erika wanes as Tropical Storm Fred forms in Atlantic
- Memorial service for slain Virginia journalists brings call for action