Officer among 3 men killed in Ohio club shooting
A gunman opened fire in a northern Ohio nightclub early on Sunday, killing an off-duty police officer and two other men, and wounding a fourth man.
Detectives are working to identify the gunman at the Last Call Bar in Fremont, which is about 35 miles southeast of Toledo. No arrest has been made.
Police Chief Tim Wiersma said the shooter had been in the bar for some time and may have gotten into a fight with another patron “when things went horribly wrong.”
The dead were identified as Elmore police Officer Jose Andy Chavez, 26; bartender Ramiro Sanchez, 28; and customer Daniel Ramirez, 25.
“It is sad that an altercation in a bar went so terribly out of control. I am sad for all of the victims and their tragic deaths,” Wiersma said. “All of the victims were from our community and, yes, one being a fellow police officer makes it even harder.”
Sgt. Jeffrey Harrison of Elmore police said in a statement that Chavez leaves behind a wife and two young children and had been an “exemplary” officer on the force for more than two years.
A fourth man who was shot at the bar, 25-year-old Ramiro Arreola, was flown to a Toledo hospital in critical condition.
Two detectives were at the hospital with the hope of talking to Arreola about what happened and tracking down the shooter.
Wiersma asked that any members of the public with more information about the shooting or suspect to come forward.
“We are actively investigating leads from people who were at the scene upon our arrival and need witnesses to come forward with information,” he said.
Officers with the state Bureau of Criminal Investigations were helping Fremont police with the case.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Baby cut from Colorado mom-to-be didn’t live outside womb, autopsy finds
- Gun used by agent who helped jail Capone headed to museum
- Report: Prepare to drill for oil in Arctic
- GOP budget proposal guts federal spending, health care
- Fraternity’s racist chant among its traditions, University of Oklahoma finds
- Sen. Reid follows same old script for Democrats as he endorses Schumer as successor
- Maryland might owe federal government millions for health care exchange
- Global warming is slowing down the circulation of the oceans — with potentially dire consequences
- American crash victims: U.S. government contractor, daughter
- 30 new species of flies found in L.A. experiment
- Clinton wiped private email server ‘clean’