Documents show guilty D.C. businessman gave $600K for Hillary canvassers
WASHINGTON — A campaign adviser to Hillary Rodham Clinton was involved in an off-the-books operation to help the former first lady's 2008 presidential campaign in four states and Puerto Rico, according to federal court documents.
Washington businessman Jeffrey Thompson told prosecutors that Clinton adviser Minyon Moore sought his help in funding “street teams” to bolster Clinton's get-out-the-vote effort during primary contests in Pennsylvania, Indiana, North Carolina, Texas and Puerto Rico, according to court papers. Thompson funneled more than $600,000 to a New York marketing executive to fund the street teams and canvassers — an expenditure never reported to the Federal Election Commission, the documents show.
Thompson pleaded guilty on Monday to two conspiracy charges in a case that has engulfed D.C. Mayor Vincent Gray, who allegedly was the beneficiary of a “shadow campaign” organized by Thompson. The assistance helped Gray get elected in 2010.
Prosecutors have said they have no evidence that Clinton was aware of the get-out-the-vote operation.
Dewey Square, the public affairs firm where Moore works, said in a statement that Moore “fully cooperated with the government's investigation, and the facts make clear that she was entirely unaware of any inappropriate activities.”
Polls put Clinton, the former secretary of state and New York senator, as the leading Democratic contender for president should she seek the White House again.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Presley’s planes will remain at Graceland
- Supreme Court leans toward legalizing gay marriage nationally
- Corinthian Colleges to shut down more than two dozen remaining schools
- Severe storm with tornado roars into north Texas
- At New York City rally, United States urged to acknowledge slaughter of Armenians as genocide
- Mourners attend Baltimore man’s wake
- McCain renews push to have military, not CIA, manage drone strikes
- High morale linked to longer survival among elderly
- Study a surprise: Commercial bees unfazed by pesticides
- Magma chamber spied under Yellowstone volcano
- GOP presidential candidates decry potential nuke deal with Iran to Republican Jewish Coalition