GM tells dealers to stop selling some Chevy Cruzes
DETROIT — General Motors Corp. has told dealers to stop selling about 21,000 Chevrolet Cruze compact cars from the 2013 and 2014 model years.
But the company won't say why.
The order covers Cruzes equipped with 1.4-liter turbocharged four-cylinder gasoline engines. Spokesman Alan Adler said on Friday it includes about one-third of the Cruzes on dealer lots across the nation. At the end of February, GM had 63,714 Cruzes in dealer stock, according to Ward's AutoInfoBank.
Owners or general managers of nearly a dozen Pittsburgh-area Chevrolet dealers who were contacted in the afternoon by the Tribune-Review did not want to comment about GM's decision or how it would affect them.
Dealers say stop-sale orders are routine and almost always made to fix a safety problem. They received the order in an email on Thursday, but no reason was given. More information is expected on Monday.
The move occurs as GM deals with fallout from a delayed recall of 1.6 million older small cars to fix an ignition switch problem.
The Detroit company says the switches can slip out of the run position and shut down the engine. That causes loss of power steering and brakes and disables air bags.
GM says the problem has been linked to 31 crashes and at least a dozen deaths.
GM spokesmen said they don't have further details on the Cruze.
The stop-sale order was first reported by the trade publication Automotive News.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- New York, New Jersey order 21-day quarantine of all in contact with Ebola virus
- Seattle area school homecoming ‘prince’ guns down classmates
- Warhol bodyguard sued over hidden artwork
- U.S. rules out apology to Pyongyang in exchange for 2 imprisoned Americans
- Vehicle smashes Commandments on capitol grounds in Oklahoma City
- North Korea may have key to nuclear missile, general says
- Washington city takes stock of damage from rare tornado
- 2 California deputies slain, suspect captured
- Lawyer turns down AG post
- Test confirms remains are missing Virginia student’s
- 1686 shipwreck ‘like dinosaur’ being rebuilt for museum