GM tells dealers to stop selling some Chevy Cruzes
DETROIT — General Motors Corp. has told dealers to stop selling about 21,000 Chevrolet Cruze compact cars from the 2013 and 2014 model years.
But the company won't say why.
The order covers Cruzes equipped with 1.4-liter turbocharged four-cylinder gasoline engines. Spokesman Alan Adler said on Friday it includes about one-third of the Cruzes on dealer lots across the nation. At the end of February, GM had 63,714 Cruzes in dealer stock, according to Ward's AutoInfoBank.
Owners or general managers of nearly a dozen Pittsburgh-area Chevrolet dealers who were contacted in the afternoon by the Tribune-Review did not want to comment about GM's decision or how it would affect them.
Dealers say stop-sale orders are routine and almost always made to fix a safety problem. They received the order in an email on Thursday, but no reason was given. More information is expected on Monday.
The move occurs as GM deals with fallout from a delayed recall of 1.6 million older small cars to fix an ignition switch problem.
The Detroit company says the switches can slip out of the run position and shut down the engine. That causes loss of power steering and brakes and disables air bags.
GM says the problem has been linked to 31 crashes and at least a dozen deaths.
GM spokesmen said they don't have further details on the Cruze.
The stop-sale order was first reported by the trade publication Automotive News.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Johns Hopkins will pay $190 million to settle hidden camera lawsuit
- War hero who held off Taliban attack gets Medal of Honor
- Ohio teen athlete’s death prompts warning about caffeine powder
- Retaliation at VA common, watchdog group finds
- Microsoft to cut up to 18,000 jobs over next year
- House committee considers new oversight for CDC labs
- Special prosecutor pushed for IRS probe
- Billionaire to help restore crown of sacred Arlington
- Approval of $3.7B in U.S.-Mexican border funding unlikely, Boehner says
- Deep-sea explorers recover millions in gold, silver from shipwreck
- Texas storms delay air, highway travel