Android systems running 4.1.1 softward carry Heartbleed bug
Millions of smartphones and tablets running Google Inc.'s Android operating system have the Heartbleed software bug — a sign of how broadly the flaw extends beyond the Internet and into consumer devices.
Although Google said in a blog post last week that all versions of Android are immune to the flaw, it added that the “limited exception” is one version dubbed 4.1.1, which was released in 2012.
Security researchers said that version of Android is still used in millions of smartphones and tablets, including popular models made by Samsung Electronics Co., HTC Corp. and other manufacturers. Google statistics show that 34 percent of Android devices use variations of the 4.1 software. The company said less than 10 percent of active devices are vulnerable.
The Heartbleed vulnerability, which was made public last week, can expose users to hacking of their passwords and other sensitive information. While a fix was simultaneously made available and quickly implemented by the majority of Internet properties that were vulnerable to the bug, there is no easy solution for Android gadgets that carry the flaw, security experts said.
Even though Google has provided a patch, the company said it is up to handset makers and wireless carriers to update the devices.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Run from Cuba, Americans cling to claims for seized property
- Global warming is slowing down the circulation of the oceans — with potentially dire consequences
- 7 shot at Florida spring-break house party
- Christie rails against high N.J. estate tax
- Attorneys: Sterilizations were part of plea deal talks
- A bipartisan push on toxic chemicals makes some Democrats fume
- American crash victims: U.S. government contractor, daughter
- Republican presidential hopefuls near-unanimity on the issue of their own guns
- Pentagon shielded Chilean torture, slaying suspect
- 3 Illinois state workers seek to join Rauner lawsuit over union dues
- Starbucks drops ‘Race Together’ coffee cups